A Conversation for George Berkeley: Empiricist Philosopher and Bishop

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 41

Recumbentman

Thank you one and all. It's about 35 years since I did my final-year undergraduate dissertation on Berkeley's account of Time; I couldn't help liking him and agreeing with a lot of what he said. In fact while studying philosophy I found myself able to agree with almost every philosopher I took the time to read and reflect on. They tend to agree more than they disagree, which is bad for the academics, who like to set up oppositions.

So in this Entry I have given a positive account of Berkeleianism as I understand it, more in my own words than Berkeley's.

I came across a quote from Schopenhauer after I was finished, that seemed appropriate: A truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed, then violently opposed, and finally accepted as self-evident.


Key: Complain about this post

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more