A Conversation for Pykrete

Pykrete

Post 1

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

Just noticed this Entry by accident, after I became aware of the Collaborative Writing Workshop.

The inventor was some relative (?uncle)of Dr Magnus Pyke (well known TV scientist).

A few years ago the BBC broadcast a play on radio 4 called 'Habbahuk of Ice' which was about that ship. Unfortunately I missed listening to it.

I often mention pykrete in my teaching - usually when I'm discussing the crystal structure of ice (similar to diamond, hence it's hardness).

I'm not sure if you mentioned this in your Entry, but an advantage of pykrete was that if a hole was blown in the hull buy a torpedo, it could be rapidly re-sealed by fixing cardboard over it, spraying with icy water and re-freezing.

It has been said that if the war had lasted any longer, then this ship would have been built.

smiley - biggrin


Pykrete

Post 2

Captain T A Nuge, leader of the Clique (A3542186) Join today! -Back from the dead-

The inventors name was Geoffery Pyke, and no, I didn't know that. I knew it was called project Habbakuk, but the War had moved to far south for it to be feasable, I understand.


Pykrete

Post 3

Captain T A Nuge, leader of the Clique (A3542186) Join today! -Back from the dead-

I didn't know about the cardboard thing, no.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more