A Conversation for Babe Among the Stars - March Notes

Frank Borman

Post 1

Deek

For me Frank Borman and his crew (Lovell and Anders) were three of the most courageous of the American astronauts. For me Borman stands somewhere ahead of the other astronauts.

When you consider that they had to put all their faith in the new technology and fire themselves out of Earth orbit and into the void for the first time, they were indeed exceptional people. If it had all gone wrong they would have been literally on their own. Couple with that, they were the first crew to make a re-entry from the moon. Re-entry from Earth orbit is around 15,000 miles per hour. Re-entry from a lunar trajectory involves hitting a precise window at around 25,000 mph.

They were the first to take pictures of earthrise and photograph the lunar landscape from up close. One of my most enduring memories was watching the released film of their ground track as they transversed the moon‘s surface. It blew me away.

He was also instrumental in getting the Apollo program back on track after the Apollo 1 fire with his address to the inquiry.

Deke


Key: Complain about this post

Frank Borman

More Conversations for Babe Among the Stars - March Notes

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more