A Conversation for Tibetan Photo Project

Peer Review: A3202066 - Tibetan Photo Project

Post 1

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Entry: Tibetan Photo Project - A3202066
Author: John-the-gardener, h2g2 Friends of Tibet - A2170982 - U33262

This Entry is about a project that I find quite amazing; I hope you will too.

Tibetan Photo Project has given Tibetans living in exile in India the opportunity to record their lives and their efforts to preserve their unique culture.

Please take a moment to explore the Project's photo galleries and see for yourself.


A3202066 - Tibetan Photo Project

Post 2

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"


smiley - whistle


A3202066 - Tibetan Photo Project

Post 3

Woodpigeon

Hi John

First of all I'm really perturbed that this entry seems to have been left in Peer Review for so long without any comment! So please, from my own point of view, accept my apologies. smiley - blush

Its really well written and it shows a real sense of injustice and commitment to a worthy cause. In fact from a style and narrative perspective I can't really fault it.

My only question would be its appropriateness as a Peer Review entry, as it does not fulfil the "balance" requirement and accordingly, that the entry should be objective. Now, don't get me wrong here - your argument is extremely well made. You have buckets of facts to back up the case, but the only problem is that *any* good argument, practically by definition, needs to be unbalanced. Trying to see it from the other sides point of view diminishes the argument. Taking the devil's advocate stance here the Chinese Government, however reprehensible their motives, they probably have their own justification for what they did, and might object to being called cruel, brutal occupiers who imposed a sham history on the Tibetan people. While you can use all these adjectives with gusto when presenting your argument, it's not so easy to do the same when the article is meant to be objective and balanced.

But, saying that, there *is* a phenomenon happening here that is a fact, that is a reaction to Chinese rule, that is worthy of description in the Edited Guide. So, maybe it *can* be fairly quickly changed to fulfill all the EG requirements perfectly. Maybe you just need to tone down some of the more subjective adjectives both about the Chinese and the Tibetans, and let the reader decide for themselves. Probably not such a big job. Anyhoo, I will leave it to you to decide, as there are also places like iCan which this type of argument suits perfectly also.

Cheers,

smiley - peacedoveWoodpigeon


A3202066 - Tibetan Photo Project

Post 4

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Hi, Woodpigeon. Thanks for the feedback.

This Entry is about a project supportive of the Tibetan exile community. The information about China's invasion and occupation Tibet is there to provide a context and give the reader a sense of the motivation for the Tibetan Photo Project.

I take your point regarding the language used to describe the occupation of Tibet. I'll review the Entry with that in mind. The problem, from my point of view, is that to present the information in other terms does it a disservice (how would you describe the Holocaust?). It's hard to avoid the use of words like 'cruel' and 'brutal' in this context because anything less would not adequately describe what is taking place. I want to avoid including specific examples of the sort of thing that makes the use of these terms difficult to resist because I want he overall tone of the Entry to reflect the spirit of optimism which I think characterises the Tibetan Photo Project.

Still, no doubt there is room for improvement. I'll have a look. smiley - smiley




A3202066 - Tibetan Photo Project

Post 5

Woodpigeon

"The problem, from my point of view, is that to present the information in other terms does it a disservice (how would you describe the Holocaust?). "

I totally understand. Just a suggestion, but maybe it might be an idea to take a look at how the BBC themselves address what is a very sensitive topic?


A3202066 - Tibetan Photo Project

Post 6

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

That's a good suggestion. The problem I have with the way the mainstream media deal with Tibet is that it often reflects the sticky corner that we have painted ourselves into regarding human rights and China. Statements by NGOs like Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International and eye-witness testimony are presented as 'allegations', usually in a sentence followed by a verbatim quote from a Chinese embassy. I've read reports of torture and judicial murder which are hardly recognisable when they are mentioned in the press, when they are reported at all.

I've re-written part of the introduction to bring more balance. Let me know what you think. smiley - smiley


A3202066 - Tibetan Photo Project

Post 7

Woodpigeon

Yep - I think the changes make it a bit less subjective. Two other things strike me though :

* you mention future dates; but if you intend it going into an Edited Guide entry, the future will soon become the past, as the entries don't change that much once they get into the edited guide. It might just be better to exclude this, and to comment more on the fact that activities are taking place around the world to highlight the exhibition.

* The second thing is that there is a tendency in the article to advertise - certainly not for commercial benefit - but even so, an Edited Guide entry asking for donations from people might be a first. They're not really intended for this purpose I think.

Just keep in mind also that your original entry should be saved somewhere, because as a submission to iCan, http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/ican it probably would work really well in that form.

This is an interesting entry with quite a story to tell - I would be interested on hearing other people's points of view.


A3202066 - Tibetan Photo Project

Post 8

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

'I would be interested on hearing other people's points of view.' - So would I! smiley - laugh

I'll let the Sub-editor change the dates if and when the Entry progresses to that stage. I agree that the dates are a bit of a problem, because, as you point out, they will soon come and go. Still, for the time being, I'll leave them as they are. Perhaps the Entry will languish here long enough for me to revise them, myself, after the exhibitions have taken place. smiley - winkeye

I prefer 'promote' to 'advertise'. There is a tradition of advocacy in h2g2 that goes back to the early days and the banners promoting such causes as the Fossey Foundation, and so on. You may recall that there was an Edited Entry on Torture which was timed to promote an official h2g2 petition in support of Amnesty International's Stop Torture Campaign.

As for the subjectivity of the Entry is concerned, I've gone as far as I can, in good conscience, to present the reasons and rationale for the Tibetan Photo Project as fairly as I can. I've also included links to Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch.


A3202066 - Tibetan Photo Project

Post 9

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

I've had a look at iCan and it appears that iCan't. iCan is for uk residents only. smiley - sadface


A3202066 - Tibetan Photo Project

Post 10

Woodpigeon

smiley - smiley I should have read your PS first! Anyway looking around iCan it appears to be a bit, ahem, quiet. I can think up a few reasons why this might be the case too! Not only is it UK centric, but the Beeb in their wisdom also want contributors to it to be fair and impartial and not to advertise or seek funding. smiley - erm

Anyway - I'll keep tabs on this entry and add my thoughts where I can. I agree with what you are saying about this - its a very just cause and there's only so much you can say without changing the entire subject matter around completely.

Anyone else?! smiley - smiley


A3202066 - Tibetan Photo Project

Post 11

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Thanks, Woodpigeon. I appreciate your comments and suggestions. smiley - cheers


A3202066 - Tibetan Photo Project

Post 12

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

Just by glancing at this wonderful unique entry everyone knows it should be part of the guide. Well done hope you get it through smiley - smiley


A3202066 - Tibetan Photo Project

Post 13

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Thanks, Opti. smiley - smiley


A3202066 - Tibetan Photo Project

Post 14

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

that's alright smiley - sorry haven't probably said as much as you'd possibly have liked me to am rather rushed off my feet smiley - sorry


A3202066 - Tibetan Photo Project

Post 15

AlexAshman


Keep going, it's about time this entry either got some more attention or got edited... smiley - biggrin


A3202066 - Tibetan Photo Project

Post 16

Jimi X

Excellent job as always John.

smiley - cheers
- Jimi X


A3202066 - Tibetan Photo Project

Post 17

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Thanks, Jimi. smiley - cheers


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 18

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 19

AlexAshman


smiley - bubbly Congratulations John! smiley - biggrin


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 20

Woodpigeon

At last! Well done John! smiley - bubbly


Key: Complain about this post