A Conversation for Panchen Lama

US policy to China

Post 1

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

US policy is undoubtedly based on the fact that the Clinton administration has received truckloads of campaign donations from Red China. But of course, the Republicans couldn't attack Clinton for that, because they're either on the dole themselves, or reached an agreement of mutual silence for whatever backward governments or businesses are financing them. All they could go after was the fact that he got a few hummers. smiley - sigh

However, the Law of Unintended Consequences may come into play here, when trade relations are opened up. Free trade has historically included the exchange of ideas... the two are almost inseperable. Indeed, it wasn't long after the USSR opened its borders that the failed coup attempt brought about a quick and relatively peaceful democratic revolution. The Chinese censors can only do so much, and the ideas of personal feedom and self-government will leak in. Hollywood power brokers are working dilligently to get their movies seen by Chinese audiences, drooling over the massive ticket sales. But movies are a form of culture, and are a way of exchanging ideas. Even in the midst of a culturally devoid film with Arnold Schwartzennegger and Bruce Willis, subtle things will come through. That's why in the '50's, Senator Joe McCarthy came after the film industry so hard. Although there is no justification for McCarthy's overreaction, there really were screenwriters who were hiding subtle pro-communist messages in their films.


US policy to China

Post 2

Afgncaap5

I'm not going to pretend to know enough about this argument to really debate it. However, I think that the Chinese pointing out that what they are doing relates to the Native Americans is, sadly, correct. However, pointing out the cruel injustices of others is no way to justify your own.

If China continues to do this without other countries standing up for what's right, I dread to imagine the world two hundred years from now. If it still exists and is not just a charred hunk of radioactivity.


US policy to China

Post 3

Post Team

The Brits in the past have nothing to be proud of whilst building the Empire. All Life is precious and life with so much love should not be allowed to die. Fear of what the Chinese may do reminds me of a few bullies at school. The Chinese control the world and will continue to do so as long as they have the big stick threat of World War 3. To take it out on a defensless child is unacceptable - to kill off a peaceful race is in itself the sign of the bully who always gets his/her own way. History has a way of repeating itself - When will we learn?
vegimansmiley - smiley



US policy to China

Post 4

Kumabear


We have learned, unfortunately the jackasses who run things have not.

One thing to realize about the Chinese is that they do not bluff. The Chinese gov is unbelievably misguided and very decisive. They will do what they want and they know noone will dare to stand up to them. China paid for Clintons election as well as the designs of the U.S "city-buster" nuclear warheads.

China has already threatened the U.S with violence if we were to get involved in the Taiwan thing.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more