A Conversation for Intervention in Somalia

Peer Review: A3117818 - Intervention in Somalia

Post 1

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Entry: Intervention in Somalia - A3117818
Author: John-the-gardener, h2g2 Friends of Tibet - A2170982 - U33262

Here's something I've been poking about at for some time.

JTG


A3117818 - Intervention in Somalia

Post 2

sprout

Good entry John.

Maybe put the date of the intervention in the title?

Maybe also add that over a decade later, Somalia still doesn't have an effective government, although the situation is getting better.

Part of why things went so pear shaped was also military - not enough armoured vehicles, not careful enough with helicopters, the difficulty of operating against insurgents who blend into the local population after an attack. Some of these lessons are still being learnt somewhat east of Somalia...

On the BBC website is an excellent series on living without a government in Somalia, what works and what doesn't. Perhaps link to this?

I absolutely agree with you that the Somalian farce partly led to the Great Lakes genocide.

sprout


A3117818 - Intervention in Somalia

Post 3

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Thanks sprout. Good comments all. I'll check out the BBC website.

JTG smiley - cheers


A3117818 - Intervention in Somalia

Post 4

Dr Hell

Is Aideed's given name really 'Maxamad' like 'Max is Mad' or 'Mad Max'?

What a f***ing coincidence...

Great Entry smiley - ok.

My only concern is words like 'a decade ago', in a few years this will read strangely... What do you think?


HELL


A3117818 - Intervention in Somalia

Post 5

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Good point! I'll change such references to actual dates if I can.

Well spotted! That is a bit of a coincidence: Mad Max Aideed!

JTG


A3117818 - Intervention in Somalia

Post 6

Dr Hell

Hell's nitpick of the day:

"as far east as an African can go without leaving home."

Is that a widely used figure of speech in English (sorry me no native), but it sounds to me as if all Africans are at home in Africa...

Also, you mean the continent. The Seychelles and Mautitius (I dunno which one is most east) are part of Africa, and both are more east than Somalia - OK trow a smiley - flan at me.

smiley - winkeye HELL


A3117818 - Intervention in Somalia

Post 7

Woodpigeon

This entry reads really well and contains a lot of information about one of the most forlorn countries in the world. It's a fascinating entry.

I'm wondering however if there is a bit of polemic in it, and whether it is ok. Sentences such as "Even this disturbing spectacle might not have galvanized very much of the world's concern - the sight of Africans in desperate need, for many of us, having become a staple of our television diet" give me some cause to consider this question.

Overall though I think it is fine - an example of very good writing.

I thought the General's names was "Mohammed Farah Aideed"?

Cheers,

Woodpigeon


A3117818 - Intervention in Somalia

Post 8

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Thanks, Woodpigeon. That's probably a valid criticism. My anti-polemic pills are well past their 'use before' date. smiley - winkeye

Mohammed Farah Aideed is probably a better transliteration of the name, and consistent with the BBC link. I'll change it and add a footnote to the 'Mad Max version'. That's too good a coincidence to waste.

Hey! Dr Hell... smiley - flan

How about '... without getting his (or her) feet wet' then? smiley - laugh

JTG


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 9

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 10

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Triffik!

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. smiley - cheers


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 11

Woodpigeon

Well done John! smiley - applause


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 12

Dr Hell

smiley - cheers

HELL


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 13

sprout

smiley - bubbly

sprout


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Intervention in Somalia

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more