A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

108Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 3581

Florida Sailor All is well with the world

smiley - rofl I always thought they were good for somethingsmiley - winkeye

F smiley - dolphin S


108Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 3582

Santragenius V

smiley - laugh

As to dreams, I very seldomly remember mine. Most likely because they happen too long before waking up - Danish brain resarcher / professor Peter Lund Madsen in one his popular (and popularized, but not in a dumbed-down way) and entertaining talks on the topic has said that you only have the capacity to "store" a few minutes of dreams as the connection to long(er) term memory is inactive while sleeping.

And he absolutely does not believe in interpreting dreams - he calls the activity completely random, wih the brain coasting downhill, unburdened by any demands from the rest of our conscience. Me, I subscribe to that theory!


108Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 3583

Titania (gone for lunch)

I read somewhere that the dreaming is when the brain shifts stuff from the short time memory to the long time memory. Since not all memories are transferred, the brain sorts out memories it doesn't think is worth saving and tosses them into the dream. That's why dreams are so often highly illogical - they're created out of trash. Which reminds me of Mad Max for some reason.


108Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 3584

Titania (gone for lunch)

Sometimes I really love Swedish humour!

There's currently a photo of someone wearing a T-shirt being circulated by e-mail.

The text on the T-shirt is:

FRA - den enda myndigheten som verligen lyssnar på dig

translation:

FRA - the only authority that really listens to you


108Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 3585

Titania (gone for lunch)

FRA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FRA_law


108Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 3586

Titania (gone for lunch)

Matina, a Cosmo based on gin, s'il vous plaït

Kind of quiet in here, innit?


108Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 3587

Todaymueller

Spent the afternoon disinfecting a friends PC. Can anybody recommend a free anti virus/spybot killer?


108Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 3588

pebblederook-The old guy wearing surfer beads- what does he think he looks like?

Why do you need a free one? They only cost £1 a week, you lose more than that down the back of a sofa.


108Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 3589

Titania (gone for lunch)

Spybot Search & Destroy - can't remember where I downloaded it from, but it's freeware and last time I ran it, it found 20 little smiley - monsters recording stuff on my computer smiley - grr


108Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 3590

Todaymueller

Well I don't believe in paying for something you can get for nothing. Plus my friend is a computer eejit so not using something for free is better than paying for something and not using it.


108Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 3591

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

AVG Free. Plus Spybot Search and Destroy. There can be a bit of a performance hit, although nothing like the performance hit of losing all you data and money to completely reformat your computer.

I just disinfected a staff friend's computer the other week, No virus but all sorts of malware. Her SO is into chicano rap and had surfed some pretty nasty places...

It's been that long since I last posted?? I've been deep into refurbishing my website, now I have a full size screen to design on.


108Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 3592

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

*de-lurks*

By the middle of this week I will have completed all of my course work for my degree. Should have my degree in hand and teaching license by the end of the year.


108Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 3593

Titania (gone for lunch)

smiley - geek question: I just read that Micro$oft will stop supporting Windows XP on 8 April 2014. What should I upgrade my home PC with, Windows7?


108Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 3594

Titania (gone for lunch)

And it's five years old by now... the PC.


108Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 3595

Vip

I like 7, myself. Pastey could probably give you more of an idea but I gather it's less resource-hungry than Vista.

smiley - fairy


108Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 3596

Todaymueller

Ununtu is the dogs danglies, but not practical for everyone.


108Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 3597

Vip

I had some humdinger dreams last night, some were odd (failing to find my uni lectures and realising I was going to have to take smiley - cupid as I hadn't booked nursery), some were more like film sets with ball gowns and having to protect smiley - cupid from an unknown entity. And then deciding to walk the halls naked the morning after the ball partly to see what people's reactions would be (confused, unerringly polite and refusing to acknowledge it).

Sometimes remembering them is not a bonus! And also indicative of a broken nights sleep!

smiley - fairy


108Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 3598

Pastey

I have Gin! I have Vodka! I can now have smiley - pggb

smiley - magic

Either Win7 or Win8 are great operating systems smiley - smiley


108Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 3599

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - laugh What dreams! I find it fascinating how logical they can seem at the time, but actually, they are very surreal... I love the way you didn't just inadvertently find yourself naked, Vip, but actually decided to be so! smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - rofl

I dreamed quite a bit last night, but didn't write it down as soon as I woke up, so I've forgotten it now. I enjoyed it at the time, though smiley - biggrin

smiley - teasmiley - biggrin


108Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 3600

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

I don't think you'll be able to find Win7 very easily, and would go with Windows 8. I hated it at first, but then I found my way out of the metro interface and settled in. Win 8 is Windows Phone for computers with touch screens.

I could not live with a full size touch screen, even if I were healthy. All that reaching, all that tapping and swiping.

Now that I don't have Dreamweaver and am using an economy-size code editor, I've discovered some online apps that make my wysiwyg-less life SO much easier. One is mozilla's gradient generator; don't use it often but when I do, it is way handy.

The other more useful one -- http://www.image-maps.com/ -- generates area maps, a.k.a. hotspots. I can upload an image, then draw in the hotspots and copy the code. Incredibly useful for the coordinates if nothing else. The alternative is running the page over and over in the browser, waving the cursor around to see whether you guessed the coordinates right.

Congratulations GDZ! Does this mean you'll be able to spend more time with us? And will your wife let you get that Star Wars fridge? smiley - evilgrin


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more