A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

Dth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

*feeling a bit more energetic, Lil lets loose the cleaning bot, which is followed around playfully by Mindspring (still about carbo-loaded)*
*Ampton appears, unbidden, on the other side of the baby gate, carrying donuts*
*on closer inspection, the donut box bears the inscription "Get well soon - CLI", so Lil lets Ampton in*

Well, now I can relax. A happy sloth, a neutral Ampton, fresh donuts and select company.

QMike, as far as your mates seeing you in a suit is concerned, in a couple of years we'll see who scores with the opposite sex and who doesn't.


Dth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2

Phil

One of the tricks of looking good in a suit is to ignore the fact that you're wearing it, stand straight and act as if it's totally natural that you should be wearing it.
If you're self concious about wearing a suit then it shows. The other week I saw the boss at work wearing a suit and you could tell he was uncomfortable wearing it.


Dth Conversation at Lil's

Post 3

Mike A (snowblind)

Ah, good advice. Thank you smiley - smiley


Dth Conversation at Lil's

Post 4

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

I'm amazed that a boss can't handle a suit. Isn't that part of management training, Power Suits 101?

I think Sporkuliuos would look good in a fedora, and maybe a black shirt and white tie. smiley - smiley


Dth Conversation at Lil's

Post 5

Phil

I was also amazed that he wasn't too good with the suit as well. I don't think he's actually done any management training and anyway he's someone who has moved into management of techies from being a techie himself. Suits aren't really techies strong points smiley - winkeye

I think everybody who has to wear a suit should watch at least one classic gangster movie. It gives a prime example of how to wear a suit and look good whatever you're doing.
The other one I thought of whilst browsing the record store this afternoon was Quadrophenia. I saw a copy of the soundtrack album with a picture on the front of Phil Daniels, shart cut suit, with a Parka over the top as if he'd just got off the scooter and was looking for some rockers for a fight. The Mods of the 60's were into wearing the shart suits and looking good with it.


Dth Conversation at Lil's

Post 6

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

I'm told that one big problem about suits is that they cost a lot even off the rack and don't always fit comfortably at all the right places. This is where our Mike lucks out cos he'll be thin enough to buy off the rack and still feel ok.

Look at David Bowie, the original Thin White Duke. Looks better in suits than jeans!

But for details like smooth fit on the collar and precise length of sleeve and inseam, you have to stand up and be measured for a handmade suit. I had a Venezuelan boyfriend who really opened my eyes when he showed me the kind of details he demanded from a suit. We shopped for a new suit one whole afternoon.


Dth Conversation at Lil's

Post 7

Researcher 99947

I'm not really a hat person (isn't that what a fedora is? one of those felt thingies?)- trust me. Then again, I'm not a suit person either. I'm more of a courderoy person.

David Bowie looks sinister in anything... or nothing smiley - winkeye

Suits are amazingly difficult to pull off... unless you have some out of the ordinary colour... like *ahem* pink


Dth Conversation at Lil's

Post 8

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Professors and think tankers wear corduroy suits with the legendary leather patches.

If you ever wore a pink suit (after the age of six), it would be no surprise that you have a distaste for them now. AAversion therapy I'd call it.

Then there's the Roger Daltrey as Chopin look.


Dth Conversation at Lil's

Post 9

Researcher 99947

I was being quite serious about the pink thing- only not a pink suit. only a suite with a lot of pink in it


Dth Conversation at Lil's

Post 10

Phil

Suits shouldn't be hard to pull off smiley - winkeye

Lil's right and I would love to be able to buy a bespoke suit, and a pair of hand cobbled shoes (well I find it hard getting shoes to fit smiley - sadface). A good shirt is also a must for looking good in a suit as well.


Dth Conversation at Lil's

Post 11

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Like a houndstooth or a tweed?

Can you get away with wearing running shoes with a suit, do you think?


Dth Conversation at Lil's

Post 12

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

simulpost - I fell asleep over the cgi window smiley - bigeyes


Dth Conversation at Lil's

Post 13

Phil

I noticed after I posted as well!


Dth Conversation at Lil's

Post 14

Researcher 99947

I have my niece with me right now. just sharing smiley - winkeye


Dth Conversation at Lil's

Post 15

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

This is a family-rated conversation. Does your niece know what an unau is?
*Mindspring meeps and presses nose up against reverse side of monitor screen*


Dth Conversation at Lil's

Post 16

Researcher 99947

No, I don't think so- she's only four smiley - smiley Doing dishes= tootles


Dth Conversation at Lil's

Post 17

Phil

I think it should be shoes with a suit. Not running shoes, not even DMs (unless it's just the plain shoe).


Dth Conversation at Lil's

Post 18

Mike A (snowblind)

I love DM smiley - smiley. He is so cute and funny smiley - smiley


Dth Conversation at Lil's

Post 19

Phil

smiley - bigeyes

Before too much confusion ensues, I meant Docs. Doctor Martin boots, the classic bovver boot, as worn by indie kids and students all over the UK. Availiable in a vegan alternative.


Dth Conversation at Lil's

Post 20

Researcher 99947

loafers look good with suits


Key: Complain about this post