A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

6th Conversation at Lil's

Post 81

Babel17

Potential, Courtesy, potential.
How are things with you?


6th Conversation at Lil's

Post 82

Courtesy38

I have faith in you Babel smiley - smiley

Life is actually good, I got the web site straightened out, sleep for about 12 hours and have had a light day today. We deliver this thing on Mon. smiley - smiley

How's it with you?


6th Conversation at Lil's

Post 83

Babel17

Good.
It's funny but I noticed that Irving is logged on, and as soon as I tried to load up a page, I got kicked off.
That is twice in three days. Irving will think that no body loves him because we keep missing him!
W*** is quiet just now, thankfully. It means that I can keep up with this and try out some more HTML. taught myself basic frames todaysmiley - smiley


6th Conversation at Lil's

Post 84

Courtesy38

Good on you Babel -

You will be doing Scripting in no time smiley - smiley


6th Conversation at Lil's

Post 85

Babel17

I was reading that yesterday, but as I said before, start with the basics and work your way up!


6th Conversation at Lil's

Post 86

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

*comes out of sequestration in studio*
Hi guys! Glad to see you still here. Icouldn't do anything at all on h2g2 earlier on -- throngs of newbies, DNS errors and freeze-ups. Is there any tea or shall I make fresh?


6th Conversation at Lil's

Post 87

Courtesy38

*pours a cup and sends it towards Lil*

I know what you mean. I have a very fast connect T2-T3 speeds and I couldn't get on earlier.

I'm having fun racing Babel to the newbies though smiley - smiley I'm also trying to drum up business for the BooK NooK, it seems a rather quiet place right now smiley - sadface


6th Conversation at Lil's

Post 88

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

We need Beeblefish to come back.

I would like to rearrange that page a little bit, move the pix around. Courtesy, weren't you one of the people urging me to read Donaldson's collection of short stories, Reave the Just? I am just SO impressed with his craftsmanship!
*sips tea*


6th Conversation at Lil's

Post 89

Courtesy38

I was definitely recommending Donaldson, but I have not read Reave the Just. I do recommend the book I reviewed for the POST, Far Horizons by Robert Silverberg, great collection of short stories by the greats of Sci Fi.

I just finished Lord Foul's Bane by Donaldson, I'm not sure how I feel about it and whether I want to continue with the Thomas Covenant books.


6th Conversation at Lil's

Post 90

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

I know just what you mean! Except that I read my way through all 6, quite determined that there must be a point at which things started to get better. And there was, on the last page of the last book. Although by then, there was hardly anything left to improve.


6th Conversation at Lil's

Post 91

Courtesy38

I only pushed my way through Lord Foul's because of the recommendations I had gotten. I kept on figuring that the next page would get better.

It kind of reminded me of the Blair Witch Project, you really need to develop a sense of empathy between the reader or film goer and the main characters smiley - smiley

In both cases I wished the main character would just die and put me out of my misery.

Now I'm reading an anthology of Vampire stories, kinda pulpy.


6th Conversation at Lil's

Post 92

Phil

Hello all,
MikeA, rent Barron Munchausen or Time Bandits (better yet, get both smiley - bigeyes )

Courtesy38, I've just got a book (for my birthday) that seems like it could be a cut down UK edition of the Far Horizons book. It's called Legends (ed. Robert Silverberg). It has stories by Stephen King, Terry Goodkind, Orson Scott Card, Robert Silverberg, Ursula K. Le Guin and Raymond E. Feist. Are there 11 stories in Far Horizons? I ask because the intro in my book says about 11 new stories by the best known and most acomplished creators of modern fiction.

Anyway see you all round, got to go to bed before another day (UK time) tomorrow.
Later
Phil


6th Conversation at Lil's

Post 93

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

If he's working days then he was up damn late.

I think the thing about the Covenant trilogies is that the man has leprosy, and that is a living death, even now, because of the horror it inspires in others. The leper never gets the bits back that he loses, he can only arrest the process with medication. In earlier times, you literally attended your own funeral, at a distance.


6th Conversation at Lil's

Post 94

Babel17

That's what I was thinking, with regard to Phil that is, not the books as I haven't read them.
However leprosy is not nice, but does bring to mind one or two jokes, which are pretty stupid to be perfectly honest.


6th Conversation at Lil's

Post 95

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Like, about how business is dropping off? smiley - winkeye


6th Conversation at Lil's

Post 96

Babel17

No more along the lines of the poker game where he threw in his hand, or the one who went to a prostitute and left her a tipsmiley - smiley


6th Conversation at Lil's

Post 97

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

It was the whore working in a leper colony who said business was dropping off. Isn't that sick? Why do I find it so funny?


6th Conversation at Lil's

Post 98

Babel17

I have never understood why I find things like that funny. I just do. I think it stems from the fact that my mother never laughed at any jokes I told, when i was really young, so I had to try harder and harder to make her laugh. One day it happened, and for the life of me I cannot remember the joke!
But that is how my twisted sence of humour was developedsmiley - smiley
I have always found things funny, that others don't. For example, when Aliens came out in the cinema, a friend and I went to see it, and we were rolling on the floor laughing, while all around us, women screamed and cluched onto their partners!


6th Conversation at Lil's

Post 99

Researcher 99947

I find some pretty sick things funny... I just think some of us find humour in the absurd.


6th Conversation at Lil's

Post 100

Researcher 99947

sorry... I didn't finish that thought. I meant to finish, stating that I don't think we're sick people solely because of our humour


Key: Complain about this post