A Conversation for Scrabble - The Word Game

A30038591 - Scrabble - The Word Game

Post 21

Mina

I think that as you are writing this for the bog standard person who doesn't really know about Scrabble it might be a good idea not to get bogged down with tournament rules etc - the rules do say 'a standard English dictionary'. Most of the 'foreign' words in a normal dictionary probably aren't considered 'foreign' by most people anymore, which is why I expressed surprise it was in there.

Obviously my lack, rather than the entry's, but I think you should explain that in the entry:

"You may play outdated, slang, colloquial, foreign and archaic words as long as they are in the dictionary that has been specified" perhaps?


A30038591 - Scrabble - The Word Game

Post 22

Elentari

smiley - lurk


A30038591 - Scrabble - The Word Game

Post 23

me[Andy]g

Fair enough; there only needs to be a brief mention of tournament Scrabble in the entry itself - I just thought I'd say something that the author could choose to use if they wanted to. smiley - ok


A30038591 - Scrabble - The Word Game

Post 24

J

I've only just looked at this entry. I only skimmed it before I submitted it to FM originally, and I thank the Apprentice for taking this up. On reflection, I'm very disappointed with myself for not once making light of the fact that the inventor of Scrabble was named "Butts" though. smiley - erm


A30038591 - Scrabble - The Word Game

Post 25

Rod

Missed a bit of target practice there eh, Jordan?


A30038591 - Scrabble - The Word Game

Post 26

The Apprentice

I'm happy to help make this entry hit the Guide (eventually) and have no plan to pick on Butts.

smiley - cheers

The Apprentices


A30038591 - Scrabble - The Word Game

Post 27

Beatrice

Lovely stuff.

A good tip at the start of a game of Scrabble is to aim to collect the most anagramable set of 7 letters - RETINAS - even if it means exchanging some tiles. With those magic letters you stand a very good chance of getting a 50 point bonus, particularly early in the game.

And there is no anguish greater than having a 7 letter word and no-where to place it.


A30038591 - Scrabble - The Word Game

Post 28

The Apprentice

Some updates:

* Added note on foreign language editions and different scoring.
* Added note that foreign words used in English language games need to be of the sort in common usage and included in the chosen dictionary.

Tweaked something else, I'm sure.

Still need to add reference to the various 'official' books/word lists. And other bits from this Review thread.

Thanks for the continued feedback.

The Apprentice


A30038591 - Scrabble - The Word Game

Post 29

toybox

There was a recent Entry about Scrabble, let me see... A30334961 it was (How To Get A Bingo in Scrabble).

Regarding foreign Scrabble: in the French version, there is only one Z tile, worth 10 points. It is however extremely easy to get rid of, including in very long words, as conjugated verbs in 2nd plural form all end in '-EZ' (except for 'vous êtes', obviously).

Also, an alternative rule exists which reduces the unfairness due to randomness of racks (it spoils the fun having only consonants for more than 3 turns, really). You use the same array of letters for all players. Everybody devises a word (and where to place it) with that unique set of letters according to the usual rules. Then each player scores according to the word (and location) he or she found. Only the best-scoring word is placed on the board.

smiley - biro


A30038591 - Scrabble - The Word Game

Post 30

Skankyrich [?]

We could probably AViate this Entry, you know...


A30038591 - Scrabble - The Word Game

Post 31

The Apprentice

Various tweaks and updates made... and about to make some kind of reference to the various official books...

Oh... Happy New Year (as applicable) everyone!

smiley - cheers

The Apprentice


A30038591 - Scrabble - The Word Game

Post 32

The Apprentice

Reference to official dictionaries added.

The Apprentice


A30038591 - Scrabble - The Word Game

Post 33

Elentari

What did you have in mind, Skanky? Two people playing and talking through their moves, sort of thing?


A30038591 - Scrabble - The Word Game

Post 34

Skankyrich [?]

Well, the text is friendly enough for a straightforward audio version. For the video element, it could be illustrated by lots of short clips edited together to demonstrate each part. I'll have a think about this, as the queue is long enough that I might be able to come up with something before this hits the FP. I've got various other bits to work on, and I won't be able to work on the audio until it's been subbed, but I could try to storyboard out a rough sketch of what it would look like.


A30038591 - Scrabble - The Word Game

Post 35

Noth€r

Scrabble, this is 1 game I can winsmiley - rofl!!
Nothersmiley - planet


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 36

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 37

J

smiley - bubbly Well done, Apprentice smiley - smiley


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 38

The Apprentice

It was a pleasure, Jordan. Thanks for providing me with such a great base article to work off of...

smiley - cheers

The Apprentice


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 39

Elentari

smiley - applause


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 40

U168592

Subbing this now here: A30777618

Skanky, still planning on AViating?


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Scrabble - The Word Game

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more