A Conversation for Tallinn, Estonia - World Heritage Site

Peer Review: A2954351 - Tallinn - World Heritage Site

Post 1

Hati

Entry: Tallinn - World Heritage Site - A2954351
Author: Hati - U127053

A2954351
Tallinn - World Heritage Site


A2954351 - Tallinn - World Heritage Site

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Hello, Hati! This looks interesting. I'll have a detailed look at it later on. Until then, just a few points:

Don't put a space before km. It should be 82km, not 82 km.

You can use to start a new line in the table of facts, but you shouldn't use it in the main text. Instead, you should put at the start of a paragraph and at the end of a paragraph. This will put a blank line between the paragraphs, but that's the way we like it here on h2g2.


A2954351 - Tallinn - World Heritage Site

Post 3

Woodpigeon

Hi Hati,

Nice article, well done! Is it really so close to Helsinki? smiley - wow I don't have much to say on the content (as unfortunately I have never been there *sigh*), except to say that I didn't see very much on the recent Russian occupation, how it started and how it ended. Maybe some more on that would be of interest. The Russians seemed to have a penchant for building housing projects, sometimes in the most inadequate of places, if my limited exposure to eastern European cities is correct.

Just a few minor grammatical thingys - hope you don't mind.

"as the first settlement have no written sources" - as there are no written records on the early settlements.

"The first reliable data about Tallinn date back to the Chronicle of Latvian Henrik" - dates back

"the Danish fleet led by King Valdemar II land near Lindanise castle" - which landed near Linanise Castle

"This arrival is considered an important event in the making of the body of residents in Tallinn." - an important event in the city's history? Or does it pertain to the establishment of the city?

"the Lübeck Rights that bound Tallinn to common legal space with medieval German merchant towns" - not sure what you mean by common legal space.

"Only about 20 of them have remained today" - only about 20 of them remain today.

"Tallinn land master changed in the middle of the 14th century" - what is "land master"? Ownership?

"started to build out St. Cathrine Convent" - started to build St.Catherine's Convent. You should end this sentence with a period, before discussing the nunnery.

"Tallinn Bishop residing at Toompea" - The Bishop of Tallinn, residing at Toompea, governed ...

"The near to town leprosorium" -- the Leprosorium or Jaani Hospital, close to the town centre, is first mentioned

St. Brigit Nunnery - St. Brigit's Nunnery

"Territory of Estonia was one of the main battle grounds" -- Estonia was one of..

"Scared of the Russian troops Tallinn town and Harju-Viru knighthood retreated to the Swedish Crown in 1561" -- Can you explain better? Did Tallinn come under Swedish control?

Other than that, its very good. It will be a very welcome addition to the guide. smiley - cool

smiley - peacedoveWoodpigeon


A2954351 - Tallinn - World Heritage Site

Post 4

Hati

Language thingies are very welcome, English is not my first and actually not even second language.
As about the Swedes and that - Tallinn had to surrender to somebody and Sweden seemed to be the best option or something in that line.
I was writing this article mostly about the historical old town and soviet era didn't change that much. There were parts of the old town which were destroyed during WW2 but those were mostly park areas later. So, just few houses after the war.
Soviet era deserves another article methinks and I am not too fond of politics.
*smiley - run to make the changes in the article*


A2954351 - Tallinn - World Heritage Site

Post 5

Hati

Grammar and paragraphs are done. Here's the rest - any ideas how I should rephrase those sentences?

"This arrival is considered an important event in the making of the body of residents in Tallinn." - an important event in the city's history? Or does it pertain to the establishment of the city?

Actually those were the people who were the citizens of Tallinn. It was German town, not Estonian.

"the Lübeck Rights that bound Tallinn to common legal space with medieval German merchant towns" - not sure what you mean by common legal space.

The same legislation.

"Tallinn land master changed in the middle of the 14th century" - what is "land master"? Ownership?

Yep.


A2954351 - Tallinn - World Heritage Site

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

OK. Good entry, Hati! smiley - ok

Now for some detail.

You should put Estonia in the title. The statement "Tallinn is the capital of Estonia" looks a bit lost, so why not combine the two in the title:

Tallinn - Capital of Estonia and World Heritage Site

You can then remove the header "Facts", because you're not supposed to start an entry with a header or subheader.

400 000 --> 400,000
km2 --> km²

"Data" is technically a plural noun, so it should be "date" as you originally had it, rather than "dates", but it looks a bit strange, so I'd suggest rewording it as:

"The first reliable records about Tallinn date back to the Chronicle of Latvian Henrik."

arrived to Tallinn --> arrived in Tallinn

This arrival is considered an important event in the making of the body of residents in Tallinn.
-->
This group is considered an important addition to residents of the city.

May 15, 1248 --> 15 May, 1248

"bound Tallinn to common legal space with medieval German merchant towns" -- I don't understand this

"Tallinn land master changed " -- I don't understand this either

King of Denmark decided to sell his Northern Estonian lands --> the King of Denmark decided to sell his Northern Estonian lands

was began in the 16th century --> was begun in the 16th Century

moved to lower town --> moved to the lower town

1240-s --> 1240s

Cisterian --> Cistercian

governed the whole Northern Estonia, clerically he was under --> governed the whole of Northern Estonia; clerically he was under

Though out of the Old Town --> Outside of the Old Town

a magnificent sample of --> a magnificent example of

retreated to the Swedish Crown -- "retreated" isn't the right word here, but I can't think of the right one

to inscribe the Old Town of Tallinn to the World Heritage List --> to add the Old Town of Tallinn to the World Heritage List

Historic Centre (Old Town) of Tallinn was added --> The historic centre (Old Town) of Tallinn was added

It’s the place for spending time --> It’s a place for spending time

airplane --> aeroplane


A2954351 - Tallinn - World Heritage Site

Post 7

JulesK

Gnomon wrote: 'retreated to the Swedish Crown -- "retreated" isn't the right word here, but I can't think of the right one'

Would 'reverted to the Swedish Crown' fit?

Julessmiley - smiley


A2954351 - Tallinn - World Heritage Site

Post 8

Hati

This article is about Tallinn as a world heritage site. Tallinn is much more than that and I don't pretend to write about it all. So I think it would be incorrect to use the title you suggested. I removed the subheader though if that's the policy.

""bound Tallinn to common legal space with medieval German merchant towns" -- I don't understand this."
I thought I explained it in my previous posting. I don't have any better explanation.
""Tallinn land master changed " -- I don't understand this either."
As Woodpigeon asked and I replied - it's about ownership. Should it say "the owner of the land changed"?

"King of Denmark decided to sell his Northern Estonian lands --> the King of Denmark decided to sell his Northern Estonian lands"
Does this mean that article 'the' should be used everywhere if the name of the king is not mentioned?

'inscribe' is the word UNESCO likes to use. It sounded smiley - silly but I thought that's the way it should be.

What's the difference between airplane and aeroplane? British-American?


A2954351 - Tallinn - World Heritage Site

Post 9

JulesK

Yes, aeroplane is British English, hootoo preferred!

Julessmiley - smiley


A2954351 - Tallinn - World Heritage Site

Post 10

Hati

smiley - ta
Good to know. smiley - winkeye


A2954351 - Tallinn - World Heritage Site

Post 11

Hati

I knew there was a reason I didn't want to write any guide entry at the first place. smiley - erm


A2954351 - Tallinn - World Heritage Site

Post 12

JulesK

No, don't say that - it's probably incredible to most folk on here that you can do so in what is not your first or even second language!

Just take it slowly with the corrections people offer and enjoy the positive comments!

And have some smiley - choc!

Julessmiley - smiley


A2954351 - Tallinn - World Heritage Site

Post 13

Hati

smiley - ta
I am just angry with myself. Quite some stuff pointed out here is something I should know (and I actually do know). And some of it is what I am not able to explain better.
And now a thunderstorm is reaching the town and I have to unplug everything. And there's smiley - fullmoon.


A2954351 - Tallinn - World Heritage Site

Post 14

JulesK

Blimey!

Well we'll see you later, then.

smiley - cheers


Julessmiley - smiley


A2954351 - Tallinn - World Heritage Site

Post 15

Hati

Quite a storm it was with all this lightning and thunder.


A2954351 - Tallinn - World Heritage Site

Post 16

Ivan the Terribly Average

Hi Hati. http://www.estonica.org/ might be a good site to link to; it's available in English, and it has a fair amount of history in it. It mentions Tallinn and the Luebeck Law (sorry, can't find the umlaut) among other things.

I'll probably make a few more comments later...

smiley - redwineIvan.


A2954351 - Tallinn - World Heritage Site

Post 17

Hati

smiley - ta
That's a good idea.


A2954351 - Tallinn - World Heritage Site

Post 18

Woodpigeon

Hi Hati,

I just want to echo Jules - I knew that English was probably your second language, but these entries, in my opinion, count as some of the most valuable entries in the Guide. All we are doing is helping on the sidelines with some small grammatical issues, and I hope you don't see this as a criticism: you are the real winner here!

smiley - peacedoveWoodpigeon


A2954351 - Tallinn - World Heritage Site

Post 19

Hati

Oops, sorry!
I am not taking it as criticism. All the corrections and suggestions are welcome. I was more worried about the lack of time I seem to have. smiley - erm


A2954351 - Tallinn - World Heritage Site

Post 20

Gordon, Ringer of Bells, Keeper of Postal Codes and Maps No One Can Re-fold Properly

Nice entry! smiley - smiley

Two links you might want to consider for inclusion:
smiley - earthUNESCO http://www.unesco.org
smiley - earthUNESCO World Heritage List http://whc.unesco.org/pg.cfm?cid=31

Cheers!
smiley - teasmiley - towel


Key: Complain about this post