A Conversation for Did I Leave The Iron On?

Kelly Sotherton

Post 1

egon

You know Charles van comenee, her coach, actually publically stated before the games that she had no chance of a medal (despite being ranked fifth in the world), but that Denise LEwis (first heptathlon of the year and not fully fit) had a good chance of bronze.

Personally, I think the real reason for van Comenee's appalling behaviour after Sotherton won a medal at her *first* Olympics ws that he was still pissed off about Kelly's response to this in the press:

"Well, I'm going to prove himw rong about that" was what she said.

To get a bronze is a great achievement- it's what Denise Lewis did in 96, and she won gold in 2000 (before van Comeneee refused to work with her for a while when she dared to have a child)

Oh, and I just want to congratulate Yelena Isinbayeva on her Pole Vault Gold and World Record. The risk taking was exquisite- she allowed herself only one chance at 4.85- just 5 cm below the existing record- before jumping 4.91.

One of my favourite days of sport ever was the Gateshead Grand Prix this year- I saw Isinbayeva break the world record, and Paula Radcliffe beat the field by a lap in the 10k.

Oh, and on Radcliffe, can I just heap scorn on a guy who took part in a Five Live phone in and said, and I quote

"I eneter the London marathon as a fun-runner and finish every year. What's Radcliffe's excuse?"

Erm, well, moron, when you enter bthe London marathon, your aim is to win, or maybe to overtake the prannock in the pink armadillo suit. Radcliffe was aiming to win, in searing heat, on the toughesat Marathon course of all, with more pressure on her than any athlete needs. She pushed herself to the edge of her physiccal and emotional boundaries and just couldn't carry on any more.

That's enough scorn for now.


Kelly Sotherton

Post 2

Pinniped


Hmmmm...wonder if you're going to eat your Radcliffe-words now, Egon?

Once is forgiveable. Twice?

Way I see it, she made a pact with the public when she entered the 10k. Do your best, restore some dignity, and finish unless your leg falls off. If you're not up for that, don't bother.

Instead, she enacts a statement which amounts to "if you can't win, quit". Personally speaking, I deplore that. I deplore the message it sends to kids.

Paula Radcliffe has denigrated sport. She will be a dark cloud p*ssing on any parade they hold for a deserving Team GB. Her presumption in declaring that she'll come back from this is breathtaking, because no right-minded national squad should ever pick her again.

Just my Aitch-O, you understand.

In sport
Pin


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Did I Leave The Iron On?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more