A Conversation for Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Arrival of St. Nicholas in Amsterdam 2006

Post 1

Alfredo



St. Nicolas arives everywhere in the Netherlands, but Amsterdam is the biggest event, aound November 20, each year. The real gift party is in the evening of. dec. 5 all around the country.smiley - smiley


Quote.

On a Sunday in the middle of November, St. Nicholas, known as in the Netherlands, arrives in Amsterdam. Around 11:30 am the steamboat from Spain docks by the Central Train Station across from . Deafening salutes and ringing church bells fill the air, as the mayor welcomes the good before he mounts his white (or gray) horse. The fun begins at noon with a big parade: Sinterklaas accompanied by many , brass bands, beautiful floats, officials in cars, and colorful groups of jesters, cycling clowns, and more. Thousands of pounds of sweets and have been put in burlap sacks for the acrobatic to throw to the crowds lining the streets. The parade winds along the Damrak to the Rembrandtplein coming to an end at the Leidesplein. Here, around 2:15 pm, from the balcony of the city theatre, the Stadsschouwburg, Sinterklaas addresses crowds of children and their parents.
Thus begins "Sinterklaas Season" when Sinterklaas and his helpers travel around the country, visiting hospitals, schools, shops, restaurants, and even homes during the three weeks before the main Sinterklaas celebration. and his Piets seem to be everywhere at once, asking about children's behavior and listening through chimneys. The children leave their shoes out with carrots and hay for the horse. In exchange the Piets put candy or a small gift in the shoes to be found in the morning.

end quote.

More information;

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=76smiley - smiley


Greetings from Amsterdam.


Key: Complain about this post

Arrival of St. Nicholas in Amsterdam 2006

More Conversations for Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more