A Conversation for The Cranky Gardener

Excellent?

Post 1

Mina

smiley - blush Thank you!

It's nice to be able to read this kind of thing in this way. If that makes sense. This is one series where not being restricted to the EG guidelines is making it a real pleasure to read. Keep it up!

My garden is already crawling with frogs, tadpoles, and other insects. The highpoint of my wildlife garden was finding a slow worm. It was worth putting up with the unkind remarks about the 'state' of my garden to find that! I hardly ever get any major slug damage, as the native plants can cope with the odd nibble, and the other wildlife are nibbling on the slugs!

I do have to admit for having mixed feelings when I see birds eating worrms though. I like the wildlife aspect, but I wish they'd leave the worms to aerate my lawn!!


Excellent?

Post 2

Hypatia

Hi Mina. smiley - smiley

I understand what you mean about the stylistic freedom of the Post as opposed to the Edited Guide. Personally I do better in the lighter atmosphere. A couple of Researchers (I won't mention them in case they're lurking) are nagging me to write for the Guide, and I'm working on it, but I'm really not cut out for that format.

Your articles approach the subject differently, so I didn't think I would be stepping on your toes by doing this series on wildlife habitats. And it is such an important subject that I thought it needed some more attention.

It is almost dusk here. We have had a lot of rain the past couple of weeks and there is a naturally low spot in my back garden that holds the rain. Right now is is full of birds, splashing and having a great time. smiley - biggrin I'm going to turn that spot into a water feature as soon as I can find the time and money. Trouble is, it is close to both my property line and the gate to the front yard. I'm not sure how to design it.

Hyp


Excellent?

Post 3

Mina

The subject is so wide that there's no stepping on toes to be done! I knew when I was writing my project that I couldn't cover everything - for instance I haven't suggested any plants at all because there were too many to chose from. I tried to give a 'taster' so that people who thought it sounded interesting could go away and find out more.

Your low spot sounds ideal for some 'wetland' around your water feature. I wanted my ponds where I could see them from the house, so although they are only tiny I can watch them in the rain. You can leave boots by the gate for visitors!

I look forward to reading your series, although I don't always get time to read things on the site, so I might be back in a few weeks and read them all at once!


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Cranky Gardener

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more