BasingsToke. Last stop on the road to hell?

2 Conversations

Just past Farnborough on the M3 motor way the majestic towers of Basingstoke's thriving business community spring up into view and that familiar sense of bitterness creeps into your mind. It's not so much that you're first view of Basingstoke features a concrete monstrosity that gets you down, more the sudden realisation that you are returning to the world of the dull!. It's not that Basingstoke isn't well equipped, on the contrary it is very well equipped with bowling alleys, ice rinks, a poor football team, cinemas. motor museums, very bad night-clubs, even worse shops, sports centres, golf clubs, lawn bowling clubs, bad local radio old peoples homes, and a very large lunatic asylum!...hmmmmmm

The real problem with Basingstoke is that most of it's amenities are designed to pamper to the needs of complete imbeciles, the Ben Sherman wearing majority have created their utopia. A town of weak larger, "sorry mate no trainers" Aggressive 15 yr. olds " did you call my pint a poof?", bad fashion statements "70% off Madhouse sales" and intrusive sculpture "the 14 ft penis".
There is one area of Basingstoke that has culture and charm .....No really there is! The village of Basing lies about 1 mile to the East and is home to about 6000 and is home of the man who put the Toke in Basingstoke .The fact that his village completes the other half of the towns name is pure coincidence ....I think.

To sum up, Basingstoke is a poor excuse for a bad town in the V neck jumper wearing, Volvo driving, Tory voting , muppet haven that is Hampshire. But it could be worse ..... probably!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A256628

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more