A Conversation for Edward Van Halen

Peer Review: A2560376 - Edward Van Halen

Post 1

voxwah0

Entry: Edward Van Halen - A2560376
Author: voxwah0 - U695680

I think it could use some work in the grammer and diction department.


A2560376 - Edward Van Halen

Post 2

Dr Hell

Nice Entry, but it could profit from some polishing.

For example, since this is kind of like a biography of Edward Van Halen, maybe you could start by giving some general info, like birthdate and -place. When did he come to the US (he's dutch no?) That he originally played drums in the band with his brother (Alex), which is called Van Halen. And that they changed instruments later.

Y'know when you talk about designs, be more specific, like red guitar with white and (black?) brushstrokes (right?). What is so good about strats in comparison to lesps.

Also, add the name of the most important songs, not just eruption, where one could hear his guitarplay. Add that most people probably remember the songs Jump, Panama, Right here right now... (provided they were already sentient in the 80s)

He was influenced by whom?

Tap-muting, bending, tap-playing etc... was not invented by him, Steve Morse was already doing that in the early 70s (IIRC he was inspired by some Canadian Guitarist, whose name I forget, who was supposedly the inventor of tapping)

Things like that...

HELL


A2560376 - Edward Van Halen

Post 3

Back_Ache

I like this artical and have learnt from it I can think of a couple of things to improve it.

A few link to other articals
A nice rounded ending, the current one just drops sharply.

But a nice artical never the less


A2560376 - Edward Van Halen

Post 4

Milos

There is definitely a hole for this in the Edited Guide smiley - ok. Although there are a few tweaks that would polish it up.

The title does give me the impression that I'm going to be reading about the history of Eddie Van Halen, childhood, important events, etc. There are two options: include some of this information as was suggested above, or simply change the title to reflect the content - 'The Musical Style of Eddie Van Halen'.

His musical influences should definitely be included.

Shouldn't Stratocaster be capitalized? And guitars in 'Kramer Guitars' as it's the name of the company?

Who is Peavey? I know it's a company that makes instruments (or is it just guitars?), but I don't know if they're well-known enough on name alone to not need some type of explanation (unlike Les Paul or Gibson).

Oh - and Holland has two 'L's smiley - winkeye. I don't think I realized he was from there. Ya learn something new every day! smiley - biggrin


A2560376 - Edward Van Halen

Post 5

GreyDesk

A positive response in PR and reasonble stab at a guide entry. The problem is, the author has vanished.

To the Flea Market I suggest.


A2560376 - Edward Van Halen

Post 6

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Hokay smiley - ok


A2560376 - Edward Van Halen

Post 7

the_jon_m - bluesman of the parish

Is this conversation going to lead to a who invented tapping discussion. There is still the Billy Gibbons argument suggestion.

EVH is definatly worth an entry, but needs more detail of the band and songs IMHO.

Hopefully it will be picked up soon from The Flea Market


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more