The Bookworm Club Review

0 Conversations

Bookworms by Amy the Ant

All reviews are written by members of The H2G2 Bookworm's Club. We hope this review is helpful, and that we'll see you airing your views at the Club soon.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime, Mark Haddon1

Ok, why am I reviewing a children's book and one that doesn't even have any wizards in it either? - Simply because it's fantastic2

I'm on study leave at the moment, if I fail these exams (and the re-sits) I'll have to drop out of university after four years, with more debt than a small African nation, and no hope of being able to afford another degree. I really don't have time to read books and write reviews. So, why are you reading this? Firstly because this is a book that was so good I just had to buy it and I've been meaning to read it for ages, so when it was on special offer at my local Borders I couldn't resist.

The narrator, Chistopher, is a fifteen year old with either Aspergers Sydrome, or possibly autism. He understands Science and Maths, and is taking his Maths A level at the age of 15, but doesn't understand people. His approach to life is touchingly logical and naive. When his father tells him his mother has died of a heart attack, he asks if it was an embolism or an aneurism.

He is writing a book because Siobion, one of the teachers at the Special School he goes to, said it he should write a book that he would like to read. He doesn't want to make up a story - because that would be lying - so he writes a murder mystery about the stabbing of his neighbours dog.

The writing style is very much Christopher's, he numbers the chapters in prime numbers because he prefers them. He thinks similes and metaphors are lies so doesn't include them.

When describing his Maths A level he tells you his favourite question, and wanted to tell you how he solved it - but his teacher suggested that he included it as an appendix. Irritably it was a genuine Maths A level - which I couldn't do, which only served to remind me that it's been five years since I did Maths A level3.

The mystery of the death of the dog skillfully unfolds into the mystery of many other things which means, like a real murder mystery - you can't stop reading.

Whilst reading I was convinced that this was a genuine narrative of a child with Aspergers Syndrome so much so that I accepted all the details without questioning whether or not it was an accurate insight. I thought when I'd finished it that I'd genuinely understood how someone with Aspergers Syndrome could think, whether or not I could is a different matter.

The Bookworm Club Review Archive

Review written by Z

Edited by Pinwheel Pearl

22.04.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1This book is currently being serialised on the BBC World Service and can be accessed at their Listen Again Page.2So you can see that this is going to be an impartial review from the start.3Grade B - but I deserved an A

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2545300

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more