Jamming Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Jamming

6 Conversations

Jamming is a way of playing music that allows for freedom and improvisation. It's a group thing. An individual playing an instrument in a solo fashion cannot be described as jamming. This is because a jam needs at least two people. The essence of jamming is the interaction and communicationbetween individual players.

The Art of Interactive Multi-person Improvisation

There's an art to successful jamming. First of all, each of the participating musicians must have a good ear. You have to be able to pick out the evolving grooves and melodies coming from the different members of the jamming ensemble. And then you have to weave your own thing, in and around what's being played, all the time keeping sympathetic to the vibe. Improvising, listening and hearing are just as important as playing. Feeling the flow of the music and catching the vibe of the room; this is where it's at. You've got to know when to build the music up, but you've also got to know when to bring it right back down again.

Some Respected Jamming People

  • Bob Marley
  • Jimi Hendrix
  • Eric Clapton
  • Jimmy Page
  • Carlos Santana

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A254459

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more