A Conversation for The Freedom From Faith Foundation

Shamanism

Post 1

Jed the Humanoid -Keeper of things lost down the back of the sofa-also the Chief Mad Drunken Warrior of the Anti Squirrel League

Hello, hope I'm not wasting good conversation space..but the business forum is currently in the middle of a very longwinded and intelligent discussion about Fundamentalism that i don't want to interrupt. I was wondering if anyone in the FFFF knew much about Shamanism and the associated practices. Its a subject that has always fascinated me..especially since I read the introduction to a book on it..before I had to leave the house. Any chance of someone to expand my knowledge of this subject? I figured this would be a good place to start looking for people with a vague interest...what with us being an association welcoming alternative viewpoints/religions etc


Shamanism

Post 2

Lear (the Unready)

Why don't you just go back home and read the rest of that book? And then report back to the rest of us on it, in triplicate if you can manage... smiley - tongueout

Just kidding. Try checking on the Foundation's main page to see if there's anything there that might illuminate and entertain. For myself, I'm afraid I know little or nothing about shamanism, but I'm sure if you shout loud enough someone else might drop by and help...


Shamanism

Post 3

Jed the Humanoid -Keeper of things lost down the back of the sofa-also the Chief Mad Drunken Warrior of the Anti Squirrel League

If i had the book..i would be doing exactly that...alas..its at a friends house, which is approximately two hundred miles from where i live. This makes it hard to get there...especially when i then reveal that my main purpose for visiting was to steal a book they keep in their toilet (the room..not the object smiley - winkeye)
Anyway, I've looked quickly through the list on the foundation's page, and nothing that directly relates to it has yet to be put up...although i guess it may show up in the Pagan articles (although it is..technically..absolutely nothing to do with Paganism). I'll do a more thourough check at a later date (when i'm not sitting in school in a free period)
Thanks for joining the fray anyway..and if i do ever get round to getting and reading more stuff on Shamanism..i assure you its near the top of my lists of 'Articles I intend to write..but keep failing to have enough time to do' smiley - winkeye


Shamanism

Post 4

Otter - Itinerant maggot drowner and guardian of the machine that goes BING!

Hi man! I've just joined h2g2 as a researcher, and what do I find? Theres only someone else interested in shamanism! I have several books on the subject, and try to practice some of it's principals at least. If you want a good introduction to the core principles of shamanism, I suggest that you read ( if possible ) the four books by Kenneth Meadows, (or "flying horse"). If you cannot get access to these books I will try to answer any questions that you may have.
good hunting!


Shamanism

Post 5

Lear (the Unready)

There y'are, Jed! I told you if you shouted loud enough it'd work... smiley - smiley

Any plans to join our merry band, Otter? If so, pop along to the main forum and say hi to everyone. New folks are always welcome...


Shamanism

Post 6

Jed the Humanoid -Keeper of things lost down the back of the sofa-also the Chief Mad Drunken Warrior of the Anti Squirrel League

Hello Otter,
I was glad to find a response to my question..i thought that it might have been all in vain..but here i have found someone. THanks for the advice on the books..unfortunately..my monetary position doesn't really put me in a position to buy 1 book..let alone 4. Anyway, I'll summarise what i know of it so far. Firstly I'm fascinated by this idea that a shaman can perform a 'journey' to a 'spirit world' (i use inverted commas due to the nature of these words being very open to interpretation..this was how they were reffered to in the introduction to the book which i had read) by use, not (as i had been led to believe) always through the use of hallucinagenic drugs..but merely through what i understand to be a variety of meditation involving rhythmic (obviously) drumming. The techniques of this were beyond my comprehension, most likely because I only read the introduction. This is the main part of the idea that fascinates me. I have been recently persuaded to hold some stock (but not blind belief) in some of the aspects of so called 'New Age' philosophy. I find the way it is often described far to flouncy and..for want of a better word 'ponsey'..but have found that through meditation, and occasional reflexology (my girlfirends mum is a trained practitioner) I am much more at ease with my own nature and can better understand myself and the world around me. I know this makes me sound like an evangelistic money grubbing TV person..but i assure that could be no further from the truth. Any questions in return or any attempts to explain more than i already know...or enlighten me to how I'm wrong..go for it.


Shamanism

Post 7

Otter - Itinerant maggot drowner and guardian of the machine that goes BING!

YO Jed! Glad I could be of some small assistance. You are quite right about the drumming. The Shaman's drum is his "horse" that he rides to the spirit world. If you can get hold of a drum of any kind, try experimenting with it. Don't set yourself any particular goals, i.e. don't try to find any spirit guides to start with. This is very important, because until you are familiar with the drum's effects it could be dangerous to go too deep. If you just sit in a quiet room by yourself and drum at around 200-220 bpm with your eyes closed, try not to think of anything in particular and see what happens. After a drumming session I always feel very awake and energised (not as in "beam me up Scottie") but refreshed. I would be interested to hear if you find the same. Once again be careful as there are a lot of things that man has not been able to explain rationally yet. By the way, make sure that you have plenty of time to yourself as time can pass very quickly whilst drumming. I will try to explain "journeying"
if you get a result with the drum, as you will be able to understand better. Respect!


Shamanism

Post 8

Jed the Humanoid -Keeper of things lost down the back of the sofa-also the Chief Mad Drunken Warrior of the Anti Squirrel League

Fantastic. My girlfriend has bought me a drum for Christmas because i told her I wanted one. I've always loved drumming on anything from bongos to urdus, just as a branch of my musical interest in just about everything. This is one reason why the idea of using one as a tool of meditation seemed so fascinating. I'll take your advice and be careful when i do get the drum...unfortunately I'm going to have to wait until this christmas to get one of my own..I may well try borrowing one from someone in the meantime...but Amy's being very strict about the not until Christmas rule (which is unfair...especially when she's bought it sooooo early smiley - winkeye).
On the broader topic though, i was wondering (as the small section of the book i managed to read didn't cover it very well), what are the other elements of the Shaman's 'raison d'etre'. Is it purely for the drumming/journeying, and the benifits which can be gained for those around you through this...or are there other elements to what the Shaman does?


Shamanism

Post 9

Otter - Itinerant maggot drowner and guardian of the machine that goes BING!

HI Jed! First of all, have you tried your local library under the comparitive religion section. My library had a few books introducing shamanism. If they don't, then I am sure that if you ask they would probably be able to track one down for you. In answer to your question, yes there is a lot more to being a shaman than just drumming and journeying. They have an awareness of the world that goes beyond the realms of everyday or "ordinary" reality. As I am just a beginner in this myself it is hard to explain the real meaning behind this, but it involves the manipulation of different energies to achieve a given goal i.e. healing or soul retrieval to renew the spirit. Once you have learnt how to use the drum you will be able to look for your animal guide, or power animal. I have already found mine hence the nickname Otter. It is a very enlightening experience, and whenever I feel stressed I think of Otter and things don't seem so bad. Your Power animal will probanly reflect some of your own personality, unfortunately we can't all be "Wolf" or Bear" but whichever animal comes to you it will have significance for you, you will just have to make the connection yourself. I hope this goes some way to answering your question, I will try to be more specific once I have refreshed my own memory (like a goldfish) of the core principals.
Check ya later, Respect, Otter


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more