A Conversation for Stonehenge

Multiple henges...

Post 1

Animbus

For what it's worth, I was told by a chap in Orkney that there was once a wood henge in/near the same region as Stonehenge (The wood one is not standing - and presumeably has been gone a long time. Something about traces of wood from a henge formation, in the soil.) If anyone can confirm/deny that, or if anyone knows anything more about the former existence of any wood henges, that would be of interest for me.

One thing I would expect there to be, is the evidence of at least two other circles in the vicinity, even if they are only dirt mounds.
I have not been to Stonehenge but have checked out the ones in Arran, and the Isle of Lewis, and on Orkney, not to mention the numerous stones to be found in Kilmartin Glen - and there have been at least three groups, usually within line of sight of each other.
Arran's ones work in a V formation.

Please forgive my ignorance, but how far is Stonehenge from Avebury?
Is it a feasable assumption to think that they are related?

Based particularly on the lineup of the the other circles I have been to, (as they relate to natural "wedges" from the meeting of hills where at certain times of the year the sun/moon rises from), and from the viewing places (tors, outer stones etc) that one should probably observe the circle(s) from, I would venture that the use of the henge was that of a seasonal indicator (best time to plant/harvest/store etc.), based on the time certain stars broached the horizon.

My advance apologies if this is a bit wordy for something that could be said much more simply!
In brief - Were there once wood henges?
Is Stonehenge possibly a part of a group that includes Avebury as well?

And I put my vote for the "almanac" use.smiley - smiley


Multiple henges...

Post 2

Dark Side of the Goon

Stonehenge is part of a landscape of stone circles, avenues and burial mounds. The south west is littered with them.

There's a map here: http://megalith.ukf.net

There were lots more, but the development of Southern England lead to a lot of them being flattened, robbed out and used for building materials over the course of history.

Southern Ireland is also rife with 'em.


Multiple henges...

Post 3

Leopardskinfynn... sexy mama

Apparently there was a woodhenge not too far from Stonehenge.
I googled it and here's some of the links it came up with:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/434821.stm

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=332

http://www.100megsfree4.com/farshores/avebury.htm

http://www.thestonehengeproject.org/about/archaeology/woodhenge.shtml



Hope this helps!
smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more