A Conversation for UPDATE - York, UK

A25068657 - York, UK

Post 21

Elentari

I'll do some research. smiley - smiley Thanks for looking.


A25068657 - York, UK

Post 22

Gnomon - time to move on

it's heritage --> its heritage

the Marks and Spencers shop --> the Marks and Spencer shop

Parliament Street.1 -- move the full stop to after the footnote.

"They were called bars instead of gates because the Viking word for street was gata, which meant that there were already a large number of streets in the city with the suffix 'gate' and calling the entrances in the walls 'gates' too would cause confusion, so they were named bars instead."

This sentence starts with "they were called bars instead of gates" and ends with "so they were named bars instead." - split it up into two sentences to avoid that repetition.

The water levels on the Ouse has risen --> The water level on the Ouse has risen

There are also no shortage of restaurants --> There is also no shortage of restaurants

"It also has a football team, York City FC. The city also has a rowing club as the sport is fairly popular on the River Ouse." - you've two sentences in a row with "also" in them. Try and reword to eliminate this.

a small passageways between streets --> a small passageway between streets



A25068657 - York, UK

Post 23

Elentari

I'll try to get to those tomorrow, cheers Gnomon. smiley - smiley


A25068657 - York, UK

Post 24

Elentari

Changes made. I've also reworded the section on York becoming Charles I's capital as I can't find anything to support it either.

It now reads:

"As a result of Charles I's dispute with Parliament, the King was forced out of London. For a time, York was his base. Charles and his court were based in the former Abbot's House of St Mary's, which was renamed King's Manor as a result."


A25068657 - York, UK

Post 25

Elentari

So eds - should I put this in PR now?


A25068657 - York, UK

Post 26

The Apprentice

While I can find soruces online that refer to York as both 'base' and 'capital' of Charles I, I draw your attention to the literal definition of the word 'capital':

"the city or town that is the official seat of government in a country, state, etc."

Therefore, while King Charles I reside in York - during a time when control was in dispute - York was the capital.

The Apprentice


A25068657 - York, UK

Post 27

The H2G2 Editors

>>>So eds - should I put this in PR now?

Yes I think so, prefaced with upper case 'UPDATE:...' and a note saying that changes have been made etc.


A25068657 - York, UK

Post 28

Elentari

Thanks, Apprentice. I might take another look at that then.

Off it goes!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more