Talking Point: Phobias

5 Conversations

Some red-bellied piranhas.

A hungry pack of piranhas ripping apart their prey is certainly a terrifying image. Yet it appears the piranhas' fearsome reputation has been somewhat over-exaggerated.

Scientists from St Andrews University, Scotland have made the claim the fish form packs not to hunt, but for protection against being hunted themselves.

Far from being fish which go crazy when they smell blood, their main diet consists of other fish, plants and insects - so these small creatures might not be as deadly as has been depicted in various film scenes over the years.

Still, all things considered, I think I'll follow you into the water...

  • Do you have a phobia?

  • Why do you think you have this phobia?

  • Is it a common phobia?

  • Why does this thing inspire such fear in you?

  • Do any of your friends and family share this same fear?

  • What is their reaction to your fear?

  • Do they understand why you are afraid of this thing, or do they think you are being irrational?

Previous Talking PointsPiranha 'less deadly than feared'

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A24399534

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more