A Conversation for The Sunday Format

New series

Post 1

Researcher 162126

New series now started, as excellent as before, at 6:30pm Tuesdays, but no repeat AFAICS!

Paddy


New series

Post 2

Researcher 188745

Dear All,
I am desperate to hear again a sketch of the over-achieving mother from the last Sunday Format series. Contained lines such as:
' After providing the family with a nourishing cooked breakfast, I write my contribution to the Reith lectures before jogging to the office in time to catch the Tokyo prices....calling home to hear Jocasta complete her piano recital, I then video conference until 11.00pm....

If anyone has this script or an exerpt, very grateful

David Kelham


New series

Post 3

In An Ever-Depressing World, Radio Comedy Will Set You Free...or maybe just a mars Bar will do

Well, now the new series is over (pretty short, only 4, I think), so it seems pointless to point out that the show is on the Listen Again list. Of course, typical BBC style, the first minute of the show is missing, but it's better than nothing. I do have all 4 of the current series in the comp, and thoroughly enjoyed them.

Next up in the slot is 99p Challenge, which I do like in some perverse way. maybe BBC7 will run the first series sometime soon? Worht letting them know.

--Larry


New series

Post 4

Researcher 238032

Have I missed the last Sunday Format Series? Is there a way I can get hold of copies of it - I have only 3 episodes from the original series and I'd like to hear more,
thanks,
-ian


New series

Post 5

berna gents cough sweets

I think this programme is rubbish and very annoying and totally dated.
About 2 funny things in the programme.
I think it's a case of too many cooks.
Cut it down to 2 or 3 writers and it would improve.
Anyone agree


New series

Post 6

Theodan2

Not knowing how the programme is written, it’s difficult to say how winnowing it to 2 or 3 writers would make a difference. I imagine the producer or editor of the show probably has more of an impact as to how it all comes out. He’s the one who splices together all the various bits. But as to your main points, I, for the most part, disagree. Obviously it’s a matter of taste, but I’m surprised at how, on the whole, it’s NOT dated. It’s a terrific, original format, they seem to be coming up with new characters and twists. As long as there are Sunday supplements, there should be a Sunday Format.

Complaints? I haven’t cared for the endings so far. Very flat. But then I think that’s always been a problem for the programme. I also appreciate the quick switching back and forth among stories, but sometimes it’s too much to follow. There’s a continuity missing, which might lead you to think there are too many cooks, as you say. I do have an idea about the “dated” issue, though. Perhaps the Sunday Format folks should apply their format to the news, which reads more like a lifestyle section every day. I’d love to hear a political, current affairs programme in that format.


New series

Post 7

scowzer

The Sunday Format is a most, most blessed thing, the most clever work on radio or television, or print, if it were printed.

I agree, however, the endings have been nowt. But not this week. I loved the finale of this week’s programme:

“Corrections and clarifications -- Due to unforeseen circumstance, Ralph Byce, who wrote the article in last week’s Sunday Format entitled, “This Article Is My Suicide Note”, will not be available for tonight’s on-line writer chat. The Sunday Format regrets the inconvenience.

Brilliant. The crosswords have also been brilliant.


New series

Post 8

brashhawkeye

Is it possible to get e-mailed copies of the Sunday Format. The programme is so fast and varied it is only enjoyed fully when listened to again and again. So clever and witty - you can never read a Sunday Magazine again without smiling.


New series

Post 9

Researcher 238032

This programme was absolutely brilliant. I managed to record two episodes. Anybody know where I can get hold of any others?


New series

Post 10

Floridian

FYI -- There are four airings scheduled over the next two weeks on BBC7. They are

Thursday 3 June, 2pm and 9pm (GMT)
Thursday 10 June, 2pm and 9pm (GMT)

Presuming they are the same episodes, and that Radio Times doesn't have the rest of the month's schedules yet, this might be the most recent series of the programme.


New series

Post 11

Floridian

Sorry, that was poorly written on my part. I meant I presumed that the second airing on the same day was a repeat...which indeed it was.

The one on BBC7 yesterday was perhaps the funniest I've heard. I am wondering whether it was an earlier one. Is there an episode listing anywhere with vignette descriptions?


New series

Post 12

SchnellSchnell

I know it seems unlikely, but are there any plans for a new series?


Key: Complain about this post