A Conversation for The Sunday Format

The Sunday Format or The Sunday Rant?

Post 1

Phillipe

This Sony and British Comedy Award-winning (yes that's Sony and British Comedy Award winners) team is back with a vengeance. That audible low murmur or dejected groan you hear folks is the despair of those unfortunate enough to have heard this show.

Forgive us non-conformists for not following the herd but there are still some of us, now in the minority admittedly, who expect some vestige of old; comic timing, poise, delivery, wit, originality, talent, taste, interesting subject matter. All of which the Sunday Format is bereft.

So before you embark on a new series of this dribble. STOP. Do not just simply inhale deeply and read contrived material aloud in a incoherent rant close to uninterrupted gibberish with mild intonations leading toward the comical, add a little craft. Or else give way to other even less committed 'comedians' for your prestigious spot on Radio 4.

How nice it once was to earn and deserve an award.


The Sunday Format or The Sunday Rant?

Post 2

padraigstorm

The first show of this series is only the second Sunday Format I have heard, having listened to an episode last series, but unlike the previous poster, I have taken my Laudanum. Admittedly, I had to listen to the show twice, as there is too much to catch in the first sitting. It was simply brilliant. The best thing on BBC4. The "contents page" items about "Lovers who blind their lovers," India Spago, the man who publicises his quest for privacy, and the man who lied about being Princess Margaret -- brilliant. Can't wait for the next show.


The Sunday Format or The Sunday Rant?

Post 3

pelouse

I cannot believe that anyone can write such scathing criticism of such a cleverly crafted and just plain funny programme. I stumbled upon it last Wednesday, whilst stuck in the snow on my 3 hour journey home from work, and could be seen laughing maniacally by other glum-faced stationary drivers! I knew there had to be a point to all that chaos last week, and that was it - to open my eyes to the funniest show I have heard in ages.

Thank you Radio 4 - you gave us Partridge and now this. We are not worthy!


The Sunday Format or The Sunday Rant?

Post 4

Floridian

I also find "The Sunday Format" one of the most clever and unique shows on the air. I discovered it last year and have tried to listen from the US whenever I can. I'm so glad it's back on the air.

I also love "I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again," though clearly that satisfies quite a different appetite.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more