Psycorp603's Five Computer Games to Play Before You Die

1 Conversation

As a kid back in the early 1990's, my grandfather used to tell me about having to entertain himself with a ball and a wall. Well bully for you granddad. When future generations ask me how I entertained myself in my first two decades on this planet they may well be presented with this list. Because these, my friends are the five computer games EVERYONE should play.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Sonic Team (1994)

It really took a lot to get on this list. Sonic 3 nips in at number 5 ahead of such mighty games as Medieval: Total War, Halo 2, Lands of Lore, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2. But why? I hear you ask?

Sonic 3 makes the cut for a number of reasons. Firstly, it's my fond memories of the blue blur. Sonic 3 was the first game I played until it gave me a migraine and the first game I completed without assistance. Secondly, it contains one of the most iconic villains in computer game history. The nefarious Dr Robotnik1. Thirdly, and most importantly, it's the sheer unbridled joy of it. Even now the discovery of a Sega Megadrive and the Sonic 3 cartridge will elicit cries of "Bagsy Sonic!" and "Bagsy Tails!" as people clamour to take control of our eponymous hero and his sidekick. It's impossible to put the fun of this game into words. Try it. Just let me know first. Bagsy Sonic!

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn - Black Isle (2000)

Baldur's Gate II. It's like a game of Dungeons and Dragons without having to associate with the sort of people who play D and D. The intricate plot is worthy of a David Gemmell novel, there are sideplots of love, hate, betrayal, war and erm, more war. You have almost limitless control over creating your character, but the real joy lies in interacting with your companions. Well, one companion in particular. The reason that BG:II is a game you should play is 6ft tall, has a blue tattoo and carries round a miniature giant space hamster called Boo. That reason is called Minsc and is rightfully the greatest computer game sidekick ever. Despite what Gamespy might say. "Butt Kicking! FOR GOODNESS!"

Championship Manager/Football Manager Series - Sports Interactive/Sega 1992-2007

"The Most Realistic Football Management Simulator Ever." So read the packaging of the first Championship Manager back in 1992. Fast forward to 2001 and I acquired my first copy of the legendary game. Since then, weeks of my life have been spent managing Europe's best and brightest. And Leeds United. It doesn't matter which edition you buy, so long as it's not one of the pretend Championship Managers made when some soul-less corporation bought the CM name. Nowadays you want Football Manager. Just make sure you have a week or three spare, because if it's a choice between playing one more game or doing anything else in the world, you'll be playing one more game. Even if it's a Scottish 3rd Division midtable clash.

Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun - Westwood Studios(1999)

The first Command and Conquer was a classic, the two alternate history 'Red Alert' games provide hours of campy Cold War fun, but it's the first true sequel to Command and Conquer that makes our list. It could be the intuitive control interface, it could be the interesting and varied missions and units, it could be the fantastic Full Motion Videos. Well, it's all three. Fun and easy to play, but still challenging, Tiberian Sun's campaign is unbeatable. Whether following James Earl Jones'2 orders as part of the Global Defense Initiative, or fighting for the Brotherhood of Nod, the immersive battles linked by fantastic videos can steal days of your life. Oh, and the first time you start it up, it says "Welcome Back Commander" in a way that can make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

and the number one computer game that everyone on Earth should play, given half a chance is...

Doom - iD Software, 1993

There are two kinds of computer gamers. The way to tell the difference is to ask them "What's the best FPS3 ever?" They may say Halo, in which case they're probably between 12 and 17, like shouting internet acronyms at random strangers, and have never, ever, ever had a girlfriend. They may, and should, say Doom. Because Doom is brilliant. Doom is the reason that everyone I know who's into computer games is into computer games. Because playing Doom as a young man is an experience. The brilliant midi music and claustrophobic surroundings are immersive enough for a 14 year old game, but there's a list of reasons to play Doom. Zombies, Space Marines, Helldemons, Bigger Helldemons, Massive Spider Demons, Shotguns, Chainsaws, Chainguns, a gun called the BFG 9000 and the fact that if you play the most recent Doom game, Doom3, in the dark, on your own, you might just wet yourself. Don't take my word for it, go and try it. Just remember to keep an eye on your ammo counter and keep your torch to hand.

So why are you still here? You must have access to a PC to be reading this, so go out and get gaming! Oh, and read Meet Mr Inquisitor [Redux] too.

General Features Archive

Psycorp603

14.06.07 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Now referred to as the inferior Doctor Eggman in a number of inferior recent Sonic games. Correlation? You betcha.2Yes. Darth Vader. Brilliant.3First Person Shooter

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A23810410

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more