A Conversation for Pokémon

Edited Guide Writing Workshop: A23793762 - Pokémon

Post 1

Jozcoz

Entry: Pokémon - A23793762
Author: JozCoz President of the H2G2 Nintendo fan club and sayer of the word "meh" - U1580607

I'm not quite sure what else is needed here...


A23793762 - Pokémon

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

I think you'll need a brief description of what actually happens in the game, before launching into all the types of Pokémon. Explain that the game was designed around the Gameboy and is a turn-based game.


A23793762 - Pokémon

Post 3

Jozcoz

So, you mean giving a breif description of the usual plot line...

Are you familiar with it at all?


A23793762 - Pokémon

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

I once raised a Magicarp up to level 20 where it became a fearsome monster. But my save got corrupted so I never played it again.


A23793762 - Pokémon

Post 5

Jozcoz

It does get better than that - honest!


A23793762 - Pokémon

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

You should say that in the game you are represented by a tiny person, who you can move around on the screen to explore the countryside or visit towns and cities. You meet other people along the way and can talk to them. You also encounter creatures called Pokémon, which may be tiny like insects, or as big as a house. You can capture them in your pokéball (no matter what size they are). Once you've captured a pokémon, it belongs to you and will do your bidding. It can be used to fight with other pokémon - with wild ones to weaken them enough so that you can capture them, with ones belonging to other people so that you can gain kudos and entry into certain areas of the game. etx etc.


A23793762 - Pokémon

Post 7

Jozcoz

So, should I use that as an intro and then keep the rest as is?


A23793762 - Pokémon

Post 8

Jozcoz

Also, no matter which way round I put our U numbers, it credits you as writer/researcher and me as editor...

shouldn't it be the other way round?


A23793762 - Pokémon

Post 9

Gnomon - time to move on

If you add me as an author, then that's the way it will be listed (because my U number is lower than yours). When the entry gets picked, we'll both appear as authors, with me first.

To avoid this, don't add me as author. smiley - smiley I don't mind. You can give me an "additional research credit" if you like, in which case I'll be listed in the right margin as "Additional research".


A23793762 - Pokémon

Post 10

Jozcoz

Would that be at the bottom of the entry then?


A23793762 - Pokémon

Post 11

Gnomon - time to move on

The syntax for an additional credit is a bit tricky and I can't remember it exactly. Just put

"Additional Research by: Gnomon U151503" at the bottom and we can sort it out later.


A23793762 - Pokémon

Post 12

Jozcoz

I wanted to copy a table I found on the web which has every Pokemon in it... is there a way to do that?


A23793762 - Pokémon

Post 13

Gnomon - time to move on

You're not supposed to copy other people's work. But if the information is common knowledge, then you can certainly put it in a table.

Tables are tricky to do, but once you've got the knack you won't have any problems.

You put at the start and at the end.

Each row starts with and ends with .

Within each row, the individual cells each start with and end with .

So a simple table with four entries could look like this:



Northwest
Northeast


Southwest
Southeast



Try putting that in your entry and playing around with it. There are extra things you can do like centring text, putting in blank cells and so on.


A23793762 - Pokémon

Post 14

Jozcoz

The info is definitly common knowledge, but there are hundereds of different Pokemon, and it would take a HUGE amount of time to do...

What if I managed to get permission from the copyright holder?


A23793762 - Pokémon

Post 15

Gnomon - time to move on

I think you'd be best to talk to the Editors about that. The BBC is rightly very sensitive about copyright. You can e-mail them at [email protected]


A23793762 - Pokémon

Post 16

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

Primarily the written stuff up until intro doesn't need to be in the entry. After that try to expand where you have lists so it's not just a list format but in depth piece.


A23793762 - Pokémon

Post 17

Jozcoz

sorry to see your gone, Gsmiley - wah

you'll be hugly missed...

is there anyone else avalable to help me finish my entry?


A23793762 - Pokémon

Post 18

Elentari

Hi JozCoz,

I'll take a look later if you like. smiley - smiley


A23793762 - Pokémon

Post 19

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

I'll have a go at it as well, JC.


A23793762 - Pokémon

Post 20

Jozcoz

cheers!smiley - smileysmiley - ale


Key: Complain about this post