Beginners Guide to the Rules of Lawn Bowls

2 Conversations


This is I hope a simple guide to how to play lawn bowls. For a start "lawn" is a misnomer, as there are now artificial greens outdoors and the rules more or less apply to the indoor variety played on carpet.

DEFINITIONS

Rather than list all the definitions for words used in these rules I have attached them here and will try to link from any word listed below to that site.

OBJECT OF THE GAME

The object of the game is to score more
shots
than your opponent in the number of
ends
specified or reach a designated score first.

DURATION

The length of games depends on the number of players for each team. Generally games last for 21 ends for Rinks, 18 ends for Triples
1, 21 ends for pairs, and first player to 21 shots
2
for singles. These are the internationally recognised durations for top level play, although club and qualify games may specify a different duration or operate a handicap system for singles.

Indoor Variation

Duration is either the number of ends/shots as above or a time limit whichever is first. The standard season indoors tends to be two hours but for national championships this is extended to three hours or more.

THE GAME

The team or player who wins an end has the pleasure to deliver the Jack
first at the next end. The first end is decided by coin toss either for the team or the rink.

Each team or player then delivers their
bowls alternately, until all have been delivered then the end is over and a score agreed between the two teams.

Both teams are constantly trying to make the
head turn to their favour and will use the full variety of shots to acheive this.



to be continued......
1Because there are 9 bowls delivered each end.225 for the Commonwealth Games

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A235063

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more