Definitions used in Lawn Bowls

0 Conversations

THis is appendix to The Beginners Guide to the Rules of Lawn Bowls check that out first. It'll link back to here when you need it.

Backhand

Delivering a bowl across the body from the side used to deliver the bowl.

Centre line

Defined by markers at each end of the rink on which the mat and jack must be at the start of each end.

Controlled weight shot

Trying to achieve what a drive might achieve and ensure you do not lose your bowl.

Ditch

Trough around the outside of the green a bowl which enters the ditch within the confines of the rink is considered dead unless it is deemed to be a toucher.

Draw

A bowl delivered which aims to stop as close to the jack as possible.

Drive

A bowl delivered at great speed intended to remove bowl/s and/or jack from current positionin the head.

End

Delivery of Jack and every bowl in the match in one direction, providing the Jack is still live.

Forehand

Delivering a bowl on the same side of the body as the hand used to deliver the bowl.

Green

A square or regtangular playing area surronded by a ditch, subdivided in smaller strips called rinks.

Head

All the bowls delivered in an end form a head of bowls around the jack. The head can be loose or tight depending on distance from the jack.

Jack

A smaller white or yellow ball, which at the start of an end is delivered and set to be on the centre line. A jack is live as long as it remains within the confines of the rink that includes the ditch.

Mat

Delivery position on the centre line not more than 23m from the far ditch not less than 2m from the near ditch. One foot must be within the confines (ie on or above) of the mat when the bowl leaves the hand.

Rink

a) the division of the green on which you are playing defined by rink markers at each end.

b) in a team game of four players the team is called a rink

Shot

The bowl nearest the Jack when an end is over, each of the same teams bowls which are next nearest also count as shots until an opponents bowl is the next nearest.

Wood or Bowl

Traditionally a black or brown slightly off-spherical shape with a natural bias giving it an arc when delivered. Now come in range of colours.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A238628

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more