A Conversation for (Un)official h2g2 Formula One Challenge Rules Page

Proposal of Rule Changes

Post 1

GinTonyx - Keeper and Mixer of the Gin and Tonic, Muse of the Lemon Garden.

U208686 has suggested to use drivernames for the guesses instead of car numbers.
I do agree that it is somewhat unreadable the way we have it.
On the other hand I am using Excel to compute the results. So we need a means of indentifying a driver that Excel will understand by itself. It will not recognize "Michael" as Michael Schumacher or 1 although almost every human will. Also, it will not recognize Micheal.

From my point of view the most secure way to do this game is car numbers. I personally don't have anything against names, as long as they are well defined and all agreed upon.

The alternative to car numbers is to use three-letter-abbreviations. Like MSC for you-know-who, RSC for his brother, JPM and so on. The downside of this is that (a) these abbreviations are not official, (b) you can still mistype MCS (and get no points for this) and (c) they don't change automatically. Remember last season? All of a sudden Minardi and Jordan changed their drivers. All of a sudden HHF was gone. The thing that stayed was "his" car number. That means, every time some team boss thinks he has to let some driver go we (I) have to update the entry list.

If you all want this, you can have it. I will do the extra effort of updating. Excel is not a problem at all. Please do not expect me to update typos in your guesses though. Especially not after I computed the results.

Also we need a lookuptable (what is the abbrev for Gianmaria Bruni? Did I see JMO instead of JPM on tv yesterday?)

Please let me know what you think about car numbers or driver names...

-Gin


Proposal of Rule Changes

Post 2

E G Mel

Stick with the numbers, yeah it may be more confusing to look at but once you've done it a couple of times it makes sense plus it's a damn sight easier to transfer from paper notepad to a post!

The other advantage is that I'm begining to know who it means when it says "The incident involving cars 2 and 14" smiley - ok

Mel smiley - hsif


Proposal of Rule Changes

Post 3

Dr E Vibenstein (You know it is, it really is.)

What about if we had a handy table of numbers and drivers on the competition page, rather than having to open the FIA link in another window? Would that help?


Proposal of Rule Changes

Post 4

E G Mel

That would probably make a difference to those on a slower connection.

Though this will mean another thing to update if the drivers change.

Read my race report in Peer Review F48874?thread=404869

Mel smiley - hsif


Proposal of Rule Changes

Post 5

GinTonyx - Keeper and Mixer of the Gin and Tonic, Muse of the Lemon Garden.

Would that help? It's no problem to do that table. I included it in A2349083.

-Gin


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for (Un)official h2g2 Formula One Challenge Rules Page

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more