English Chartered Markets: 3 The Southern Midlands East Anglia And Wales

3 Conversations

The markets that are listed are the first established by charter in each county. The charter was usually granted by the monarch to a local noble, granting the right to hold a market in a specified place and upon particular day or day's. Many grants were given to formalise an existing (older) right to trade that may have pre-existed as far back as Roman times. The Kingdom of Wessex had a major influence on this area as it ruled some of it, and decided economic the fate of the rest. The kings Wessex granted all of the charters six were during the reign of Edward The Elder1 (899 - 824) The first to Worcester in 899, his coronation year and the last in the area was granted, by Edgar The Peaceable (859 - 975) to Ipswich in 973.

The country at this time was entering a period of growth, as an indication of this a knight paid 8 pence a day by Henry II (1154 - 1198), was paid 24 pence (2 shillings) by King John (1167 - 1216). This gives the growing prosperity in England at this time, 134 years after the conquest and put the Kingdom in a position to exploit the growth in domestic and world trade.

The Market Charter

There were two purposes of a market charter, first it formalised the market and made it hard for any rival market setting up close by. Second the charter granted privileges to the town and the traders such as exemptions from tolls and taxes which any rival markets did not enjoy.

The Charter tax and toll exemptions that could be granted were;


Passage - The right to pass through the town and borough freely and without charge.

Pedage - A safe passage toll granting the entitlement to safe protected travel through the town.

Pontage - A local tax for bridge maintenance.

Payage - A payment allowed by charter where a peasant could make a payment (equal to a days pay) to his lord, instead of a days work on the lords land.

Stallage - The cost or rent for stall space at a market, and the right to put up a stall at the market.

Talage - A tax imposed by the King or lords, on towns or dwellings on their lands or private estates.


Tithe or Tythe - A contribution of one tenth by way of a tax on goods and produce. This could be releived in a market charter

A town with a chartered market also benefited by having the ability to attract people to the town, and by a becoming a free borough, this in turn gave the town powers to hold a court, levy fines and create local laws. The area over which the towns powers extended was clearly defined, and this area was known as the borough.

Inspeximus and confirmation by Edward IV of (among others) a charter of Henry III and its confirmations by Edward I and Richard II, granting to the burgesses of Northampton quittance from toll and lastage throughout England and the sea ports.
From The Charter of Northampton (Northamptonshire)1462

The Chartered Markets Of The South Midlands East Anglia And Wales

The early history and formation of the southern midland counties was dominated by many things, but the most influential was the conflict between the Kingdom of Wessex and the Danes and the Danelaw2. It is interesting that in this part of the country more use was made of the Roman road network than the north,
and that the towns, have market charters that pre date the Norman Conquest. Watling Street was used as the boundary between the Danes and Wessex. This area escaped the harrying of the north3, the destruction that lasted for almost a year.

Huntingdonshire

An East Anglian people Grywas people were the first English to settle in the county. The Danes took the area in 740 and the area around Huntingdon became their trading and military centre. Edward the Elder recaptured the area and strengthened Huntingdon in 915, and was included in the Earldom of Anglia. The area changed hands several times between 1011 and 1050 when it became part of the Earldom of Northumberland. After the Conquest the county was part of the land grant to one of William's favourites, Count Eustace of Boulogne. A wealthy area with the first market established in 917 AD, to serve the national wool trade and the local corn and coal market.

The Market Town Huntingdon, 917

Sited on the major crossing point of the river Great Ouse by the main route (Ermine Street) north south from London to York. Named by the Saxons ‘Huntantun‘ and called ‘Hunters dune’ in the Doomsday Book, from its location in woodland with a plentiful supply of deer for the chase. The town was granted its charter By Edward the Elder, in 917 who built the first castle (it has now disappeared) who also established a mint in the town. The towns position gave it the ability to become the major market town in the area.

Northamptonshire

The county has pre Celtic origins, the Roman occupation left its mark on the county, with the establishment of some major towns the most important being Towcester . The county became pert of the Mercian Kingdom after departure of the Romans. The county was conquered by the Danes and was part of the Danelaw settlement and the 886, Treaty of Alfred and Guthrum. This laid down the boundaries of the kingdoms of the English and the Danes. In 1011 the county appeared in records for the first time. as Hamtun the prefix North was added making it Northamtun Shire as there was also Southamtun Shire (now Hampshire). When the Normans arrived they established a base at Rockingham and set up the administration of the county by a 'Shire reeve'.

The Market Town Towcester, 917

The Romans founded the original town (Lactodorum) as a garrison stationed on the Watling Street, London to Birmingham road and is sited on the crossroads with the route with the Bristol Swindon Peterborough road. After the Romans left the town was eventually occupied by Saxons, then the Danes occupied the town until they were displaced by the by Alfred the Greats son Edward the Elder in 917 AD, and the Kingdom of Wessex, and received its charter at this time. The town was not unusual in having a relative smooth transition from English to Norman rule during the conquest.

Cambridgeshire

The first settlers were a Bronze Age people who were the predecessors of the Catuvelanni who the Romans conquered. Perhaps the most difficult area to travel because of the marshes around Ely. The county was part of the Kingdom of Mercia, but it was overrun by the Danes and the area was granted to them as part of the Danlaw settlement as agreed in the treaty of Wedmore by Alfred the Great and Guthrum, The Danes were driven out of the area in 1016 by Canute.

The Market Town Cambridge. Est., 973

The Romans established the town naming it Durolipons, on a crossing of the river Cam on the road named the Via Dviana that linked the town to Colchester and the south. and Lincoln in the north.
After the departure of the Romans the Anglo Saxons of the Herstangas peoples established themselves in the town. Nameing the town Grentebrige or Cantebrigge they built a defended settlement on the site of the castle. The town was granted its charter during the rein of Edgar the Peaceable (959 - 975).
When the Normans arrived they established a castle in the town in 1068, and it became a base for the forces dispatched to combat the resistance of to Norman rule by Hereward the Wake on the Isle of Ely. The area stayed under the control of the King until pasified.

Norfolk

Norfolk (Norfolc) the original homeland of the Icini formed the northern part of the Roman province of Flavia Cæsariensis. After the Roman withdrawal became the northern part of the East Anglian Kingdom, the areas major settlements were Norwich and Sudbury. The county was controlled as part of the Danlaw division as agreed in the treaty of Wedmore by Alfred the Great and Guthrum, as in this area the lands to the north of Watling Street. The Foundation of the county was complete prior to the Norman invasion conquest and was controlled by King Harold II’s brother Gurth. When the Normans arrived they established bases at Framlingham, Orford, and Yarmouth and set up the joint administration of Norfolk and Suffolk by a 'Shire reeve' Roger Bigod of Calvados.

The Market Town Norwich, 924

Norwic or Norwich is situated on a major crossroads and owing to its sighting on the river Yare a major east coast trading port with superb access to Europe, this provided Norwich with trade access to the midlands and eastern England.
There is no evidence of occupation in the area of the town prior to the scattered late Roman period settlements of the Saxons and Icini, who established themselves along the banks of the river Wensum. and the Yare. These settlements were raided by Vikings who sailed up the Yare. Eventually the Viking raiders settled in the area in 870 AD., the was subdued by King Edward the Elder in 917 AD. During this time the Saxon village settlements began to grow and merged and the largest of the villages Norwic gave its name to the new town of Norwich. The growing town was granted its charter in 924 AD, and b the time of the conquest it was one of the largest towns in England with a population of more than 5,000.

Oxfordshire:

Before the arrival of the Romans the area was the home of the Dubunni tribe. During the Roman occupation Oxfordshire (Oxenaforda) was something of a backwater
After the departure of the Romans it became the home of the Thames Valley Saxon peoples, and was incorporated in the Kingdom Of Mercia (Mittlere Angelnen). The importance of the county grew during the Anglo Saxon period and it became a focus of political influence with the birth of King Alfred the Great at Wantage
The county of Oxfordshire, at that time entirely situated to the north of the river Thames, the county was a major producer of wool during this time.

The Market Town Oxford, Est, 924.

Oxenaforda - a ford for oxen, is situated on the major route form London to Gloucester and Stafford. As the name suggests it was positioned on an important crossing place of the river Thames. The Thames at this time was an important trading river and there were wharves in the town from Roman times, where they served the Roman industry in the area. As an Anglo Saxon town it became a burh and was chosen as a site for a Royal Mint and the are examples of coin bearing the name of Ohsnafordia. The town was granted a charter by Athelstan 924 - 939 and from this time the town started to expand.

In 1009 the Danes attacked Oxford and did great damage to the town but were driven out by the Saxons after a short occupation.
In 1071 the Normans built a castle in Oxford Lord, Robert D'Oily was the first governor of the town, and Oxford University was founded in 1096 shortly after the arrival of the Norman occupation.

Suffolk

Suffolk (Sudfole, Suthfolc) at first populated by the Icini and was the southern part of the Roman province of Flavia Cæsariensis. After the Roman withdrawal became the southern part of the East Anglian Kingdom, the areas major settlements were Ipswich and Sudbury. The county was controlled as part of the Danlaw division as agreed in the treaty of Wedmore by Alfred the Great and Guthrum. The Foundation of the county was complete prior to the Norman invasion conquest and was controlled by King Harold II’s brother Gurth. When the Normans arrived they established bases at Framlingham, Clare, and Walton and set up the joint administration of Norfolk and Suffolk by a Shire reeve Roger Bigod of Calvados.

The Market Town Ipswich, 973

The town of Ipswich is placed at the eastern end of the Roman major east west route, at the junction of this and the north south Roman road from London to Castor St Edmunds. Established by the Romans as a port and trading town fro the inland towns and the Empire. As an Anglo Saxon town with the name of Grippleswick it continued as a port and was the main trading centre in the area between York and London. Famous for its pottery the town sent its wares to all parts of England. The town was occupied by the Vikings from 868 to 900, and was occupied by the English. The market charter was granted by King Edgar in 973, and the King also established a mint4 in the town.

Worcestershire

Several Roman roads pass through the county and the region was peaceful and prosperous. After the withdrawal the area became part of the Hwiccan Kingdom. The area passed into the hands of the Danes and there may have been a burgh established at Worcester. King Edward ‘the elder’ recovered Mercia from the Danes and it is from this time that the county is established. The only mention the county has in the Anglo Saxon Chronicle was the town of Wocerster is burned by Harthacanute due to a tax revolt in 1041. The transition to Norman rule was without incident and was the fief of Urse d'Abitot the first shire reeve and builder of Worcester castle.
The county was famous for the establishment of religious houses and by the time of the Doomsday Book it is noted that over half the county was owned by the church.

The Market Town Worcester, 899

The Town of Worcester was founded by the Romans to guard a crossing point5 It was first a settlement and was possibly called Vertis. In 7th century records it was known as the Anglo Saxon settlement of Weogomacaester. Granted a market charter in 899, it is one of the oldest in England, sited on the north south road on the first safe crossing of the river Severn above Bristol. It had some port facilities on the river and became a focus for the import and export of goods.

Warwickshire

The western edge of Roman Britain for the first 40m years after the invasion there was a concentration of forts and bases. Many settlements followed the military establishments especially on the along the roads that cross the county, Watling Street, Ryknild Street and The Fosse Way. After the withdrawal the area together with the neighbouring Worcestershire became part of the Hwiccan Kingdom. King Alfred the Great passed the area to the Danes as part of the settlement in the treaty known as Peace of Wedmore. Warwick and Tamworth castles were started during this period. In 100 the county was referred to by the name of its principal town of ‘the dwellings at the weir’ or Warwick. The transition to Norman rule was without incident and the castles of Kenilworth and Warwick were re built and the county became an important Earldom in 1088 the first earl was Henry de Beaumont.

The Market Town Warwick, 914

The Town of Warwick is the oldest in the midlands situated on the main north south route from London to Liverpool and the trade routes from Wales. Originally founded by the Romans on an earlier settlement, after the withdrawal of the Romans it became the Anglo Saxon town of Wiogoraceastre. It became a Royal city and in 640 a diocese was created, and a cathedral was built. Marking an important crossing point on the river Severn the town was the four main English crossing places the others were Gloucester, Stourport and Shrewsbury.

WALES

Denbighshire

The first part of Wales the Romans settled, they established a settlement at Chester, where they exploited the lead in the area and were the also the founders of the port at Rhuddlan the county’s only chartered market. There was strong resistance to the Normans throughout Wales and the first castle to realy control the area was built in1295 by Roger Mortimer, 1st Earl of March as part of the defences ordered by Edward I. The resistance to the English Crown caused the economic development of Wales to stagnate as evidenced by the few charters granted to the area.

The Market Town Rhuddlan, 921

The town is a sea port and is situated at the end of the main eastern road between the midlands and London. The route passes through Stafford and Worcester on the way. This is only one pre Conquest market in Wales, and it was founded by the English, this part of what is now Wales was English. and part of the Kingdom of Mercia. King Alfred’s son Edward the elder built the first castle there in 921, and established the market the same year. Held by the Welsh for 10 years Gruffydd ap Llywelyn. The Normans removed the Welsh in 1073 and installed Robert of Rhuddlan a relation of the Earl of Chester.

All the markets in this region are pre conquest.

A map of each town mentioned in the entry can be found on Google map. Please use this to get an idea of how the market fitted in the surrounding area. If you zoom out you will see how the markets relate to each other.

1The first in 899, his coronation year, then 914 two in 917 and the last in 924. The next grant in the area was Four monarchs and 74 years later, by Edgar The Peaceable (859 - 975) who grented one in 973. 2Treaty with Alfred the great granting Danes the lands north of Watling Street.3An act of mass slaugther, looting, pillage and destruction instigated by William the conquerer as revenge for the Northern settlements supporting a Viking invasion of Britain.4The towns name Gipeswic is on the coins of the period.5 The first and only ford for many miles

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A22909917

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more