Athabasca, Alberta, Canada

3 Conversations

Athabasca (from the Métis Athabaska, meaning “Place of the Reeds”) is a small town located very close to the geographical centre of Alberta, Canada. Situated 150 km north of Edmonton, the capital city of Alberta, Athabasca sits in a bend of the Athabasca River where it is joined by the Tawatinaw Valley. Known as the ‘Gateway to the North,’ it is a major through point for all locations north, such as Fort McMurray and Peace River.

History


Founded in the late 1800’s, Athabasca Landing was established as a jumping off point along the Yukon Gold Trail. Many different ethnic groups and organizations met and did business at the Landing; First Nations1, Métis2, the Hudson’s Bay Company and other European Traders all frequented the Landing. Linked to Fort Edmonton by the Landing Trail and to a major trade route by the Athabasca River, the Landing was also used by travellers, missionaries, surveyors, prospectors, and settlers moving into Alberta and points beyond. In 1911, the town was officially incorporated as Athabasca Landing.


By mid 1912, Athabasca Landing seemed poised to become the capital of the newly forming Province of Alberta. May 14 had seen the completion of the railway tracks into the Landing and it was thought that the central hub for all rail traffic would be located here. In anticipation land was snatched up and businesses opened at breakneck speed. The town name was even shortened to Athabasca to make it more appealing to visitors. However, these hopes were shattered when the Great Fire of 1913 destroyed over one-half of the downtown area. Many owners simply moved away rather than rebuild, and when the railway hub and provincial capital was moved to Edmonton, Athabasca’s hopes of becoming a major centre were dashed. However, with the building of Athabasca University in 1985 and the Alberta Pacific Pulp Mill in 1993, Athabasca has maintained itself as an important community in rural Alberta.

Culture


Athabasca is made up primarily of descendants from the Ukraine and First Nations people with many other nationalities thrown into the mix. Many families live outside of the town limits on farms, which provide the major economic structure of the town. In addition to farming, the oil industry also brings in large amounts of business and people into the area on a transient basis, most notably in the winter months. As well, the town functions as a feeder community for the many smaller villages and towns in the area, and many people go to school or work in Athabasca.
Both Leslie Nielsen and Tommy Chong grew up in the vicinity of Athabasca, and this heritage of the arts has continued on to this day. The Nancy Appleby Performing Arts Centre is host to many concerts, plays, and annual events, such as the Athabasca Music Festival, Northern Alberta One-Act Festival, and Dickens' A Christmas Carol.

Flora and Fauna


Located in the western part of the Canadian Praries, the flora around Athabasca is made up of both evergreen and deciduous trees, such as spruce, pine, birch, white and black poplar, and various ground cover. Much of this has been converted into cropland and pasture over the last hundred years, but most undeveloped areas remain forested. This makes it an excellent area for outdoor activities like fishing, hunting, hiking, and camping.


The fauna in the area is also standard for the Praries. A579666, white-tail and mule deer, coyotes, and the occasional bobcat make up the four-legged neighbourhood. In the sky, one can find chickadees, robins, blue jays, sparrows, crows, ravens, and the occasional sea gull around area dumps. As in any farming area, you will also see many beef cattle, horses, dogs, cats, and a creature that resembles a sasquatch. Do not be alarmed: many men choose not to shave or cut their hair in the winter months.

Shopping


While Athabasca has most of the basic shopping options of any small Albertan town, there are a few places worth mentioning. A stop at the local Salvation Army store is always good for a surprising discovery or two. This researcher has personally found a working clothes iron for three dollars that makes fantastic grilled cheese sandwiches, and a couch for fifteen dollars that later made a fantastic home for local rodents. As well, a visit to Bubel’s will subject the shopper to a dazzling display of suspicion and poorly disguised spying as he or she is followed around the store. Finally, be sure to stop at Old Crow Antiques to purchase some world-famous Athabasca Clay products.

Eating and Drinking


With the exception of Subway and A&W, Athabasca follows the pattern of most small towns with a score of independently owned restaurants. The pizza is surprisingly good at Mike’s, affectionately known as Shell-burger due to sharing a building with the Shell gas station. For a taste of England, make a stop at Davina’s for a spot of tea and Cornish Pasty. As a native of the British Isles, Davina also puts on a High Tea that is both affordable and delicious. If you’re looking for the best fast food hamburger, then the BurgerBar is your place. However, make sure and get your order to go: the staff and management are more than a little rude and obnoxious.

Nightlife


Being a small town, there is little to do in Athabasca after 9:00 PM. If dancing is your fancy, Johnny J’s bizarre mix of western music and black lighting will be sure to intrigue you. For a quieter drink, stop by Neighbor’s Pub, but be careful – some of the worst one-man-bands this planet has ever seen have performed here. And if you want to take a walk on the wild side, there are bush parties every weekend where a person can find a hundred different ways to go to jail.

Accomodation


None of the hotels and motels in Athabasca stand out for excellence, but one definitely stands out as a ‘zero star’ establishment: the Grand Union Hotel. If you have a choice between sleeping here or under the bridge, choose the bridge. There are less bugs and a lower chance of getting robbed and stabbed. A good alternative if you want to sleep indoors is the Hillside Motel.
Your best bet is to plan a trip in the summer and stay at one of the many campgrounds in the area. The Blueberry Hill RV Park is close to a world-class public golf course, and Forfar Recreation Park has a beautiful lake for boating with top notch camping stalls.

Recreation


Athabasca is a fantastic place to visit if you enjoy the outdoors. Many area lakes, such as Calling Lake and Jackfish Lake, are prime spots for enthusiasts to spend the day fishing (remember to get your licence!). If hiking is your pleasure, the Muskeg Creek trail system offers about 20 km of maintained hiking/cross-country skiing trails with a public lodge at the trailhead. As well, the Landing Trail has become part of the Trans-Canada Trail system, and is host to some of the best views in the area. Finally, be sure to check out the River Rats Festival, which takes place on Canada Day long weekend. The largest rural Canada Day festival in the country, this weekend has hosted such musical greats as Randy Bachman, as well as the annual River Raft Race.

Notes


For information on the Athabasca Tar Sands, which are located 3 hours north of Athabasca in Ft. McMurray, please visit Syncrude Website.

1The aboriginal residents of Canada2The decendants of French and First Nation parents

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2284823

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more