A Conversation for Online Sympathy Scams

Edited Guide Writing Workshop: A22821932 - Online Sympathy Scams

Post 1

Twiglet

Entry: Online Sympathy Scams - A22821932 Author: gnatty - U4303014 From this conversation. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/F19585?thread=4164138 Is this the right place to put this I don't know!


A22821932 - Online Sympathy Scams

Post 2

Leo


smiley - biggrin Interesting. However, no, I don't think this *is* the right place for it. The Edited Guide mostly deals with dull factual stuff. This is a conversation piece. Perhaps the ?


A22821932 - Online Sympathy Scams

Post 3

Twiglet

I thought the workshop was for people who wanted help in writing an article? I wasn't proposing the entry be comprised of the above, I was just seeking initial advice on how to start.

The Guide has an entry on internet trolls, isn't the idea behind this entry the same kind of thing?


A22821932 - Online Sympathy Scams

Post 4

aka Bel - A87832164

I think it's a brilliant idea for a guide entry, and long overdue. You'll have to structure it:

First of all, drop all first person singular references.

Write a short para introducing the problem.

Write some headers like: 'Possible reasons' ; 'Effects on the betrayed people'; 'What to do'; 'Conclusion'
or similar.

If you quote people directly, use the Blockquote tags.
Make this a collaborative entry and add all people who have contributed to the list of researchers.

That is, if you're still up for it. smiley - ok

Bel

smiley - somersault


A22821932 - Online Sympathy Scams

Post 5

Twiglet


Thanks B'Elana

Yes, I am thanks. I thought I'd also include some links to news stories about some of the more famous cases, some of them used these scams to make money for 'treatment for their daughter with cancer' - and were found out - I remember reading them, I'll have to look them up.


A22821932 - Online Sympathy Scams

Post 6

aka Bel - A87832164

Good idea, smiley - goodluck with finding those links.


A22821932 - Online Sympathy Scams

Post 7

U168592

Any more work going on here?


A22821932 - Online Sympathy Scams

Post 8

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

I don't know if these are the sorts of stories you're looking for (and obviously you don't want to copy Snopes, which does an excellent job in its own right), but you may find some of these interesting and even, perhaps, useful.

http://snopes.com/glurge/glurge.asp

http://snopes.com/inboxer/inboxer.asp

TRiG.smiley - smiley


A22821932 - Online Sympathy Scams

Post 9

U168592

Hullooo?


A22821932 - Online Sympathy Scams

Post 10

AlexAshman


The author seems to have smiley - elvis - should this be moved to the Flea Market?

Alex smiley - smiley


A22821932 - Online Sympathy Scams

Post 11

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned


Seconded smiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more