A Conversation for FAQ about Islam

A2244502 - FAQ about Islam

Post 81

.

Well there you go smiley - smiley I was of course completely wrong, and as I've heard it from various dodgy sources, these sources were also wrong, so that's probably why it should be addressed in the entry. smiley - ok


A2244502 - FAQ about Islam

Post 82

Rik Bailey

Well firstly dealing with music, thats a tricky one. It comes down to what you define as music. I have a friend (a non Muslim) who's passion is music, and he says there is music in every thing and I mean every thing. From bird song, to car horns etc.

For some people reciting the Qur'an is like music for others its not.
One person might get a 'fix' out of Metal music while someone else will get it from classical.

The point being is that Music is every where and you can not escape it.

As for being Islamic or not it comes down to your interpretation. Some scholors say it is haram says it is not Haram.
The Prophet muhammad said that when you have some thing that is doubtful then it is best to avoid it, just incase.

Other people though say that music is ok if its for the worship of Allah, Sufi's do for example. While a lot of Sunni's and Shia's listen to Nasheeds which are songs about the worship of Allah and the only music they have is a drum beat.

the best rule of thumb really is what the intention is behind listening to it, and what the music is about. For example it would be completly haram to listen to songs about sex, drugs etc.

So really it comes down to what you define as music, and what music you are talking about, and which scholor you feel is right.

On a personnal note, I listen to Junoon some times, a Pakistani rock group, But I have not listened to them for some time as II have not been in the mood to, or had the time to listen to music.

As for Pictures, all pictures, statues etc of people and animals is considered haram, on the groups that they can become objects of worship.
That being said though it also comes down to the intention as well. Every thing in Islam comes down to intention. So pictures of animals etc are allowed for eduacation perpersies etc.

Some people say that TV and the internet is haram because of all the filthy stuff on it. But its not the TV or internet thats haram its the contents your viewing that is. Meaning that TV strictly speaking is not Haram unless its used for the wrong things, pornography etc. But if used for education and things like that then its perfectly ok, same for the internet. Yes bad stuff is easily assessible but there are also bad books out there but they do not ban books.

I hope that makes sense.

I will try and put condensed answers in to the FAQ when I can. Extremely busy at the moment sorry.

Take care.
Adib


A2244502 - FAQ about Islam

Post 83

Researcher PSG

Its ok Adib get it done when you can.smiley - smiley You're owed a fair bit of slack given how long your informative entries usually take to get through here.smiley - smiley

Researcher PSG


A2244502 - FAQ about Islam

Post 84

Rik Bailey

Thanks, but thats if ever.... laugh. actually I have done it, I managed to it shortly after I wrote the above, but I did not have time to say that I had posted it on there now.

So anymore questions out there? Its funny that I got asked about music being Haram or not, as later that day I had a phone call of someone who asked a question on similer lines. Ended up having some massive debate on several things. The person I was talking to was a Muslim and so the conversation moved on to people who take things literally when its metaphoriclly and vice versa.

Such as there is a hadith that says "Get married in the Shadow of the Qur'an".

So you can go to some Muslim wedding and they have put a Qur'an or are holding up Qur'an's over the groom and brides head. And then at the same venue they also have loud music, dancing and such like, mixing of women and men in a non halal enviroment, in some big venue and splashing out on thousands of pounds for every rhing.

An the actual meaning of getting married in the shade of the Qur'an is that you get married by the guidlines contained within the Qur'an.
An what does the Qur'an say it says that you should not dance, you should not mix, should not splash out loads of money that you can't really afford etc.

In fact Islamically the whole marriage affair is supposed to be a small affair as Islam is all about modesty and so splashing out loads of money is usually done not for the grooms or brides benefit but for the looking good in front of the neighbours and family etc.

Sorry I seem to be writing an essay.

Adib


A2244502 - FAQ about Islam

Post 85

Orcus

Wow, this is a long thread for an interesting entry. Apologies if this has been asked before but I would be interested to know what the difference between Shia and Sunni Muslims are. Hope the explanation isn't too long and historical.

smiley - ok

Orcus


A2244502 - FAQ about Islam

Post 86

Rik Bailey

The difference between Sunni and Shia is down to interpretation of Islamic law.

Or rather thats how it started. Basically after Prophet Muhammad died there was a difference in opinion of who should have been the first Caliph, i.e ruler of the Islamic state. The Prophet gave that task not to his cousin, which select groups felt was wrong as they felt it should be kept in the family and not whom has the most Islamic knowledge and is best suited for the job.. So there was a vote, and they lost. And so Muhammads cousin was not made the first Calipha.

Becasue the minority that lost where sore lossers they split away from the other Muslim's and formed the Shia. The reason why there was a debate was because the Shia decided that only the Prophets bloodline should rule while the Sunna of the Prophet did not support this. Hence Sunni's come from the word Sunna which is made up of the Hadith which is the ways, actions and sayings of the Prophet Muhammad.

Unfortuanatly down the way the Shia have moved further and further away from the teachings of the Qur'an and the Sunna, but are still practising the basics of Islam.

So basically the difference is just interpretation of Islamic law.

Hope that was simple and not to historical for you.

Adib


A2244502 - FAQ about Islam

Post 87

Orcus

smiley - ok


A2244502 - FAQ about Islam

Post 88

Oberon2001 (Scout)

Like the entry. Very Concise, so well done! smiley - ok
Oberon2001


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 89

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 90

Rik Bailey

Ok.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more