A Conversation for Questions About Chistianity?

The 5th commandment

Post 21

Ruppinger ~ zaphodista ~ former keeper of vegan affairs ~ new keeper of rainbows, until the old one shows up again

But why is it unclean, then?

I still think it's as I said before. In order to survive, we can digest meat, that's how God built us.
But we shouldn't if we don't have to. It's also healthier for the body, which to me is further prove.

And another thing. Sorry, but what you describe as 'simply killing',
is exactly what I would describe as 'murder', because it's done by purpose.


The 5th commandment

Post 22

Shelly

Shame is one of the unpleasantries we endure for original sin. I just don't think I'd be any happier not eating meat, since I don't think it's sinful.


The 5th commandment

Post 23

Shelly

I had a feeling you would feel differently than I about the definition of murder. But like you said before, it's not easy. I can eat meat without guilt because I don't think it falls in that category. You think differently. I don't have to feel I'm sinful because of your definition. If I think it isn't murder, than to me I'm not breaking any commandment. I'm not saying you can just think the Bible says whatever you want it to say, but if something isn't made clear, we can only do our best to follow what we think it means.


The 5th commandment

Post 24

Shelly

And it isn't unclean. 2000 years ago it was, but that was made invalid along with all the rest of the old Testament laws. Just like sacrifices and the uncleanliness of menstration. I don't hide in my room every time I have my period, so I can also eat pork.


The 5th commandment

Post 25

Ruppinger ~ zaphodista ~ former keeper of vegan affairs ~ new keeper of rainbows, until the old one shows up again

OK. I guess if you can eat meat with clear conscience, it's ok.

I can't, because I saw how slaughter cattle is treated, so I don't.
I don't think I can convince you right now, but I'd like to know one last thing, if you allow. Would you eat a horse, a dog or insects, and if not why?


The 5th commandment

Post 26

Shelly

Umm, with a horse and dog, I guess it would depend on how they tasted. I wouldn't eat anybody's family pet or animal. I don't think I would eat anything I had met before. Animals who have become somebody's family, who have value to people, I wouldn't kill unless I was starving. The meat that I eat is from animals who were bred to be eaten. Nobody personally lost a friend. I know a lot of people who don't eat animals because they like them, and I respect them for that, but when it comes to the Bible I have different standards. Insects usually creep me out, so probably no. Don't worry about offending me or asking me anything, I don't mind a friendly debate.
Shelly


The 5th commandment

Post 27

Ruppinger ~ zaphodista ~ former keeper of vegan affairs ~ new keeper of rainbows, until the old one shows up again

OK.
You speak of animals that were bred to be eaten.
I think that's where the sin starts. God didn't make them, the way they are today. To many people they aren't animals, who are able to suffer. Many unspeakable things are done to the animals, only out of profit.
That's not at all, what Christianity is about, is it?


The 5th commandment

Post 28

Shelly

No, it really isn't. And I too wish that conditions were better for these animals when they're alive. But that's a whole nother matter. It isn't what we do with them when they're dead, that's when they're alive. I totally agree, a lot of places have horrible conditions for these animals, and that's not right at all. I don't at all condone torturing animals just to save some money. But if they can have simple, easy lives, I don't see anything wrong with using their bodies for nourishment.
(Some animals though, are suspected to have too small brains to properly feel suffering (like lobsters, I have heard). Of course, this doesn't help the rest of them.)


The 5th commandment

Post 29

Researcher Dave

As I read all the replys to the subject about the fifth commandment I was really impressed with the sincerity all of you expressed.I recognize it is impossible to think like God thinks. That desire is what got Adam and Eve into trouble. If you remember it was Satan's temptation of being like God that was enticing to them. Now he wants us to get away from the basics and spent our time in changing the lives of others. Only Jesus through the Holy Spirit can do that.I would like to at least in part list the basics of our relationship to God,Christ, Holy Spirit.
1. Since Adam and Eve' rebelion we by nature are living in rebelion to him
2. God loved his creation enough to provide a way for redeaming our relationship.
3. Jesus paid the price(his death on the cross} to get us back in right relationship to him. {God being God and we can enjoy fellowship with him}
4. Our part is to (1)Admit and accept our responsibility in that broken relationship} (2)Reach out and receive his payment As the only possible solution to a restored reationship. 3. Realize That we donot have the ability to live a life that is pleasing to him.Ask for and receive the gift of the Holy Spirit as the power to live the way he wants us to. (4)Realize that we still fail but he has promised if we confess our failure he is right there to forgive us and we can again come boldly into his presence
If this has been helpful to you good If it has raised questions respond

Blessings Dave


The 5th commandment

Post 30

Avenging Washcloth, An unhurried sense of time is, in itself, a form of wealth.

That's a very good way to put it, Researcher Dave. I've seldom seen anyone explain God's plan of forgiveness so well... or so simply.

Blessings to you.
smiley - peacedove


Key: Complain about this post