A Conversation for Questions About Chistianity?

The 5th commandment

Post 1

Ruppinger ~ zaphodista ~ former keeper of vegan affairs ~ new keeper of rainbows, until the old one shows up again

I wonder how come christians kill animals in order to eat them, despite the fact god says: "You shall not kill"
How can anybody, eating animals, expect to live in peace and harmony again, as it is foretold in the bible, when the end of days has come?


The 5th commandment

Post 2

Researcher 55674

Actually, the word is closer to "murder".

Thus war is not prohibited either. The killing of animals is somewhat different altogether though. I don't believe it falls under the term "murder", but certainly under "killing", and therefore not pleasant or good.

Personally, it is a constant reminder of what is wrong with the world. In a perfect world, there should be no killing. Indeed in the garden of Eden, there wasn't any killing at all. There was no bloodshed at all on the earth until the fall of man, where the it entered the world along with sin. So I think that killing animals isn't something to be proud of, but I think at least in earlier times, it was necessary for proper nutrition and for clothing. The same is not necessarily true in the modern world on a personal level, I'm sure you live and eat well, but on a larger scale this may not be feasible.

So what I'm trying to say is that eating meat is a somewhat necessary evil. It isn't necessary to eat meat to be a Christian (Communion is a vegetarian meal after all), and no, I don't think meat will be a part of Christ's coming kingdom.

BTW I assume you don't have any animal-based clothing then, like leather or fur?


The 5th commandment

Post 3

Ruppinger ~ zaphodista ~ former keeper of vegan affairs ~ new keeper of rainbows, until the old one shows up again

You are right: I avoid to buy anything that is of or comes with fur or leather.


The 5th commandment

Post 4

Bob Gone for good read the jornal

I may be getting this wrong (it is very likly) but I dont realy think God would mind about us killing for food. I mean he maid preditors wich do exactly the same thing so I dont think he would see what we do as much differant. alot of the leather that is used (I know because my dad used to be an enginear in a leather works) is taken from cows that are being used for food any way so it is just not wasting what is there!!


The 5th commandment

Post 5

Ruppinger ~ zaphodista ~ former keeper of vegan affairs ~ new keeper of rainbows, until the old one shows up again

But there is a difference: carnivores have to eat meat - humans (generally) don't!
(I agree, that in some areas of the world it is hardly possible to survive without eating animals and I'm glad that I have the possibility to choose)
And it's not only about eating animals, but the suffering an animal has to sustain, until it gets to be eaten. I am sure god wouldn't want the animals treated in the way they are today.


The 5th commandment

Post 6

Bob Gone for good read the jornal

yes we do. you cannot have a helthy life living off vedge alone without other vitamin substances ect humens are classed as obniverious ok I agree we waste alot of the animals but that is just a effect of the so called sivalised societry.
and the way the are treated..what you mean well fed, looked after, having reguler medical chaeckups and the like?
animals that are bread for slaughter do not go through a hard life, in britten at any rate there are to many laws to stop it. I agree that batry farms and the like are fundimentally wrong but slaughtering animals for food is not


The 5th commandment

Post 7

Shelly

Considering the original Hebrew meaning of the word murder, I don't see anywhere in the Bible where it at all mentions eating meat to be bad. The Old Testament rules were for the protection of the Israelites, and that's the only place eating is forbidden. Check out the story in Acts 10:9-16. God outright tells Peter to go ahead and eat without guilt, that's why God made the animals that way.


The 5th commandment

Post 8

Ruppinger ~ zaphodista ~ former keeper of vegan affairs ~ new keeper of rainbows, until the old one shows up again

I know a part of the bible, where it says something different (I don't know, but the translation could be a problem, after all the bible is rather old).
But I'm not at home, at the moment, where I could look it up, so I'll tell you later.
smiley - smiley


The 5th commandment

Post 9

Ruppinger ~ zaphodista ~ former keeper of vegan affairs ~ new keeper of rainbows, until the old one shows up again

Hi Shelly,
I found now what I had in mind. But I only have a German version of the bible, so I'll translate it for you:
[Genesis, 1.29 - 30]
"And God quoth: Behold, I gave to you all the plants, which yield seeds, and all trees with fruits, which yield seeds, as your food ...."
Several lines before it says something like 'man and woman can rule over the animals' but nothing about eating them. To me, this is clear enough.
Well, this is my opinion. I hope you don't feel offended.


The 5th commandment

Post 10

Ruppinger ~ zaphodista ~ former keeper of vegan affairs ~ new keeper of rainbows, until the old one shows up again

I've read Acts 10:9 - 11:18
It says nothing like "that's why God made the animals that way"
It says several times "Peter wasn't awake to the meaning of this appearance" , so don't you think it's easy to understand. If the bible was easy there weren't so many different churches around. Should all be one.
Well, and in the end [Acts 11:18] it goes "So God gave the reversal to the heathen, which leads to live!"


The 5th commandment

Post 11

Bob Gone for good read the jornal

ist the bible more less a guide bok, anty way jesus ate meat, so if it was wrong you would think he wouldent


The 5th commandment

Post 12

Ruppinger ~ zaphodista ~ former keeper of vegan affairs ~ new keeper of rainbows, until the old one shows up again

Jesus didn't eat meat.


The 5th commandment

Post 13

Bob Gone for good read the jornal

He ate fish diddent he??
thats meat


The 5th commandment

Post 14

Ruppinger ~ zaphodista ~ former keeper of vegan affairs ~ new keeper of rainbows, until the old one shows up again

er .... I didn't think of fish. maybe I've posted to fast, if so I apologize, I'm not quite sure, though. Could you tell me, where exactly in the Bible it says so?


The 5th commandment

Post 15

Bob Gone for good read the jornal

smiley - smiley
if I actully find it againe ya, I will have to look though, iI just took it that he did eat fish, you know with the feeding of the 5000, and the one where he told them to put the nets on the other side of the boat. ok they dont actully say he ate any but he cetanly fed it to other people


The 5th commandment

Post 16

Ruppinger ~ zaphodista ~ former keeper of vegan affairs ~ new keeper of rainbows, until the old one shows up again

Actually, I don't believe, every single being in the world should become vegetarian at once. In many areas of the world people need to eat meat or other animal products, in order to stay healthy. After all we are built as omnivors, which enables us to settle almost everywhere on earth.
But I have the chance to choose and I think it's not right to kill an animal, when it's not necessary.
That's why I'm a veggie since almost 20 years.

Maybe I should also mention, that I'm not a christ, in the way that I belong to any church or so.
I was one though (protestant), I only wanted to know here why christians think that the 5.Commandment was only meant for people
(I also wonder why death penalty still exists in some US states, although they claim to be christian)

see you in the smiley - hug'n' club bob! smiley - winkeye


The 5th commandment

Post 17

Shelly

You're right about it not saying "that's why God made the animals that way." That was my embelishment, I'll try to choose my words more carefully next time.

As for Peter's confusion, I'm sure he didn't understand right away. But when it came down to it, he went with Cornelius. This man was a Gentile, and in his home he could not uphold Peter's Kosher standards. Peter ate with him anyway. When he was challenged about it, Peter retold his dream. At this, the other Jews had no further objections. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that they felt the dream really did mean it was alright to "Kill and eat." this is what God said, after all.


The 5th commandment

Post 18

Shelly

About the passage in Genesis-- that was pre-fall earth. They also walked around naked and did all sorts of things we don't do now. I'm sure God would love us to still be there- but fact is, we're not. Because of the fall, we're forced to do unpleasant things. And just because it doesn't say we're allowed, doesn't mean we're not. I'm sure Adam and Eve did things that aren't directly said to be ok in the Bible.


The 5th commandment

Post 19

Shelly

I have something else to say about the whole subject (sorry if this is more than you want to read from me).
First, the 5th commandment doesn't apply (in my eyes, and many others', at least), because it isn't murder, simply killing, and that is what God commanded.
But I also want to point out there are places in the Bible where people are directly told to eat meat. The eating of a lamb was required in celebrations. My Bible (NIV) says this at Numbers 9:10-12-- "Tell the Israelites: 'When any of you or your descentants are unlclean because of a dead body or are away on a journey, they may still celebrate the Lord's Passover. They are to celebrate it on the fourteenth day of the second month at twilight. They are to eat the lamb , together with unleavened bread and bitter herbs. They must not leave any of it till morning or break any of its bones. When they celebrate the Passover, they must follow all the regulations.'"
This is of course to celebrate the passover at Egypt-where they also ate lamb, and killed lambs under God's orders! Why would God tell them to do things that would get them in trouble? He, in his wisdom, would not require sacrifices that broke his own commandments.


The 5th commandment

Post 20

Ruppinger ~ zaphodista ~ former keeper of vegan affairs ~ new keeper of rainbows, until the old one shows up again

I agree with you that we don't have paradise, here right now.
But why don't try coming close to it?
The earth would be almost like paradise if people only were nicer to each other, for example.
(BTW, I don't have any problems to walk around naked. actually, where I come from (Augsburg/Bavaria, population 240.000) exist several lakes around, where it is aloud to enjoy nature the way God built us, I don't see why should one feel ashamed doing so)


Key: Complain about this post

The 5th commandment

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more