Universal Anomalies: Things in the Universe which don't fit in

1 Conversation

The following might be interesting if you like this page:

Researcher: ARK's Main Page

Universal Non - Anomalies:

Basically the opposite of whats on this page but diiferent.

Life of a Star:

Dead useful info needed to understand where a black hole comes from.

The Guide to the South West:

No it has nothing to with black holes but it is my attempt at getting the south west some regonition.

Adam Kimber's Homepage

You might find this interesting, then again you might not.... anyway here it is in all its glory.

INTRODUCTION

Universal Anomalies: Things in the Universe which don't fit in This page is all about things in the Universe which don't quite fit in. Things like black holes. Do they exist in our universe or are they a cosmic doorway. They also might be a cosmic drain, who knows. Hey who cares the fact is that they do not fit in. Another example is a pulsar. Oddly enough they pulse and emit flases of radiation. They are the csomic lighthouses. Again these are part of the interesting side of the universe. This page will hopefully have lots of ideas and "facts" about these anomalies.

BLACK HOLES

This part of the page is all about black holes. Strangely enough. Note that there will be contradictions to this title due to the grave misfortune of the name being related to holes. Most people view a hole on a 2D surface. These holes are 3D. Confusing huh.

Black Holes: Terminology and Facts

How is a black hole created?

Black holes are ususally produced by some dying stars. A star with a mass of about 10 - 20 times the mass of our Sun may produce a black hole at the end of its life. In the normal life of a star there is a constant tug of war between gravity pulling in and pressure pushing out. Nuclear reactions in the core of the star produce enough energy to push outward. For most of a star's life, gravity and pressure balance each other exactly, and so the star is stable. However, when a star runs out of nuclear fuel, gravity gets the upper hand and the material in the core is compressed even further. The more massive the core of the star, the greater the force of gravity that compresses the material, collapsing it under its own weight. For small stars, when the nuclear fuel is exhausted and there are no more nuclear reactions to fight gravity, the repulsive forces among electrons within the star eventually create enough pressure to halt further gravitational collapse. The star then cools and dies peacefully. This type of star is called the "white dwarf." When a very massive star exhausts its nuclear fuel it explodes as a supernova. The outer parts of the star are expelled violently into space, while the core completely collapses under its own weight. This can form a variety of objects depending on the size and make up of the original star. For a small star, they form a brown dwarf, (no light emitted), for a sun sized star they form a white dwarf, for a large star (10 solar masses) they form a neutron star and for much larger stars (30 solar masses or more) they form black holes, infinitely compressing back on themselves. See life of a star for more information.

Event Horizon

The event horizon is the point of no return, it is an invisible line (or sphere), outside of which you could escape the pull of the black hole but past it there is no hope of escaping.. To escape the gravitational pull you would have to go past the speeed of light, which is theoretically impossble.

Accreation disk

This is all the matter the intense gravitational pull the balck hole attracts. It circles slowly inwards towards the event horizon.

Jets of gas

These shoot out from the hole perependicular to the accreation disk. The cause of them is unknown, but it is probably due to charged particles rotating around the magnetic field lines of the black hole.

Black Holes: Links

Life of a Star - How the star starts and stops!

Black Holes: An excellent page about them

PULSARS

This part of the page is all about Pulars, those cosmic lighthouses which emit radiation like a beacon.


The right image shows the Crab Nebula pulsar, visible as the left of the pair of stars near the center of the frame: NASA

Pulsars: Terminology and facts

What is a Pulsar?

A pulsar is a rotating neutron star which emits a narrow band of radiation in a time interval. The nearest anology would be a lighthouse. The light or radiation in the case of a pulsar flashes past us at regular intervals.

Emmisions

The radiation can be picked up by radio telescopes and many observatries around the world are monitering these stars, including Jodrell Bank in the UK.

Pulsars: Links

Link to Jodrell Bank and their research on pulsars.

Jodrell Bank's stellar object finder.

NOTE TO ALL TRAVELLERS:

Please avoid these anomalies at all cost. They can seriously damge your health, ship, socks, friends, perception of life in fact they could probably damage your life. So DON'T PANIC, just go around them. Yes that might lengthen your journey by a few thousands light years but that shouldn't pose much of a problem to anyone in particular.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A222292

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more