A Conversation for Arthur Dent, Agrajag, and the irony of Reincarnation

How?

Post 1

jenthu

If this was the question wouldn't the universe have been destroyed and replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable.

It could be, how many times is a soul reincarnated?

Well, the universe is still here, so that isn't it.


How?

Post 2

Nicholas The Magnificent

But how do you know that the universe is still here? For all you know you are the product of a deranged imagination so you can’t be sure!!!!!


How?

Post 3

jenthu

Or maybe this is the bizzarly inexplicable thing that will replace the universe?

Who knows?

Who cares?


How?

Post 4

savemefromennui

this also works for "how many roads must a man walk down?" ...roads meaning lives? 42!
-or maybe i'm just singing to your cat.


How?

Post 5

AdamaeusDjinn

It's unsafe to speculate about anything, really, though having Arthur kill himself over and over throughout history without having meant to seems like just the kind of thing DA might have pulled.

As a side note: Forty-two really is the answer to everything. I punched in "Arthur Dent" as a search topic, and what should I get but this very conversation--with a relevency of, dun dun dunnn...

Forty-two percent. Adams was right.


How?

Post 6

docsharp

I discussed this with some friends a while back and 42 has loads of interpretations. Apparently DA said that it was just a random number that he plucked out of the air.

However on the reincarnation bit, there were 42 steps to the Egyptian imbalming ceremony....spooky.

Also there is a connection through Japanese in which it means "Go to your death"...as in death is the answer to life etc?

I put together an explanation based on playing cards but it's a bit long winded.smiley - smiley


How?

Post 7

docsharp

This subject has lead me to look at the works of Micheal Denton...from Arthur Dent smiley - erm, funny how the mind works! Well mine anyway. His works are to do with evolution, is this Half of the answer, (Arthur-Half of).smiley - winkeye

It's life Jim, but not as we Know it!


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Arthur Dent, Agrajag, and the irony of Reincarnation

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more