A Conversation for The Don't Panic Help Centre

Arrgggghhhh !!!

Post 1

White Swan

Ok right so. I first came on h2g2 as White Swan (175386). Then I got locked out of that id when h2g2 upgraded and I had to register again. So I did. I created another id, blackhermit (914426).

I was quite happy as blackhermit, went away for a while, came back today and found I had to re-register again. So I did.

I put in my user name blackhermit, but it was already in use. Thinking someone else had nicked it during another upgrade, I changed it a bit to "the-black-hermit". But when it took me to my home page it was... White Swan!
So my original account, White Swan, now has the wrong username. How do I change username? Please would you help me change the username of my White Swan account back to "White Swan" as it just looks plain daft at the moment? Also, when I checked "Whos Online" the id clearly said "White Swan" so why's that then when it's calling me "the-black-hermit" on the White Swan home page.

Yours
Confused on a hilltop


Arrgggghhhh !!!

Post 2

SEF

smiley - yikes The cookies are crumbling.

What I suspect happened is you hit one of the servers' dodgy patches in which they don't recognise you or your cookie. Then when you were trying to do what you thought was re-registering, the recognition came back online and it ended up reassigning your new details to your old cookie as if you'd asked to change your personal data instead of create a new account. This seems to be an ongoing problem with people getting caught out by the SSO process doing something daft every so often.

You may need Jim Lynn to fix your scrambled entries in the database if they are fixable at all.


Arrgggghhhh !!!

Post 3

Mort - a middle aged Girl Interrupted

Hi White Swan,

I think I know why the confusion has happened.

You may find this page helpful A1325387

Your h2g2 *nickname* ie username is white swan which shows on your PS and on the online list.

The name it calls you in the top bar the-black-hermit is your bbc sso *log in name*. This is your sso account login - not just h2g2. No-one but you can see this.

If you wish to change your log in details then there is an option 'retrieve my details' tab on that menu which brings up your bbc sso log in private details and ways to change them.

However you can change your h2g2 nickname at any time by selecting 'preferences' or clicking here <./>userdetails</.>

It is a bit confusing but hopefully the sso page link above will help clear it up a bit smiley - ok


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more