A Conversation for The Don't Panic Help Centre

Spliting and updating an Entry at the same time

Post 1

Kyle Katarn - I promise I'll get to you in a moment... but which moment?

If an Entry needs to be split and updated in an irrevocably intertwined improvement combo, how would one go about doing that? The update forum doesn't describe such a process, but it's not technically making any new Entries from sratch.


Spliting and updating an Entry at the same time

Post 2

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

If both of the new entries will still be mostly material from the original Edited Guide entry, then I would go through the Update Forum.

If both of the new entries will be mostly new material, then I would submit them, individually, to Peer Review -- and let people know in the PR thread that the entries go together and that they are intended to replace current EG entry X.

If one is mostly new material, and one is mostly material from the original, then I'd do them one at a time -- first take the latter to the Update Forum, and when that was done, take the new one to PR.

Just my smiley - 2cents

Mikey


Spliting and updating an Entry at the same time

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

If you are splitting an existing entry, one of the parts will replace the existing entry and have the same page number. The other part will get a new page number. You should use the Search engine to track down any links to the page number of the original entry in other Edited Entries. Then you should decide for each whether it should be modified to point to the new page or left pointing at the original page.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more