The Importance Of A Right-Handed Shortstop Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The Importance Of A Right-Handed Shortstop

2 Conversations

What exactly is a right-handed shortstop?
  • Right-handed - an individual's predominant use of the right hand with which to do things such as throw a ball, use chopsticks, or 'flip the bird'1

  • Shortstop - the defensive baseball player who stands between second base and third base on the infield of a baseball diamond. This position was not originally used in the first iterations of baseball, but was added later so that short people could be allowed to play too.

Confused? Baseball Basics is an easy introduction to the game.

The Facts

Parents of left-handed children often ask, Why isn't my child playing shortstop? Why does the coach not let my child play third base? Why are they looking at me as though I'm some kind of idiot? To explain simply, left-handed people don't play shortstop, third base, second base, or catcher. It just doesn't happen. This is not some sort of arbitrary rule, designed by Judge Kennesaw 'Mountain' Landis2, and proliferated by Connie Mack3. You are invited to look at the statistics! There is not a single left-handed player at any of those positions in the major or minor leagues of baseball. 'Lefties' play first base, pitcher, or outfield.

'Lefties' are forbidden from playing shortstop for a very good reason other than a new and exciting form of discrimination that is sometimes called 'leftist' (or perhaps 'rightist', depending on how one looks at it). This very good reason is that when one of these players has fielded a ball, they have to then throw it to first base. Naturally, as anyone with at least half a brain can imagine, this is much easier to do with the right hand. It's just more natural, and takes fewer movements, to throw to the left with the right hand. This is particularly true when one has to throw the ball nearly 80mph from distances further than 120ft.

Catchers, and the Importance of Proper Headgear

The only exception to this rule is the catcher. A catcher will rarely have to field a ground ball. However, they do need to throw runners out - usually at second base (directly opposite home plate for those who are baseballically-challenged - and, of course, 'baseballically' is not actually a real word!), and again this is easier to do for a right-handed catcher. Why? Because most batters are also right-handed, and would therefore stand in front of the left arm of the catcher when batting. Surely the reader can imagine that it wouldn't be terribly pleasing to a batter, or terribly effective for a catcher, if the ball didn't reach second base, because it was lodged firmly in the batter's helmet.

More Facts

This could very easily be explained to these 'baseballically'-challenged people first, but it's so much more fun explaining that the statistics prove this assertion correct, and then explain why the statistics prove this to be so. Not terribly logical, but more fun than a good quick, stiff kick to the head.

An Exception?

This rule can only be bent when small children are involved. Anyone under 12 should be allowed to play in any position they want. In fact they should be actively encouraged to, whatever their skill level or ability to construct sentence. However, at 12 years of age, if a child hasn't figured out when they are good enough, or right for something, nor have the ability to construct complete sentences, then they have bigger problems to be concerned with, than the disappointment of not being able to play shortstop.

Baseball Wisdom

In the immortal words of Dennis Leary:

Life sucks, so get a helmet.

To which should be added - 'preferably a baseball helmet'...

1An American slang term that refers to the extension of the middle finger, and the proffering of the back of the hand, to indicate displeasure with another person. British people may be more familiar with the extension of the middle, and forefinger, to indicate the same end.2An early archetype of modern baseball. Well-known as the first commissioner of the Major Leagues of Baseball, and for his poor handling of the 'Black Sox' scandal of 19193 One of the most successful managers of all time, primarily with the Philadelphia Athletics (now known as the Oakland Athletics).

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A2181467

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more