A Conversation for Postal Communications to the Americas

postal deadlines

Post 1

quizzical

They encourage us folks in the US to mail Christmas packages by Thanksgiving (fourth Thursday in November) to ensure on-time delivery *inside the country*, so part of the problem is on this side of the pond. smiley - erm On the other hand, many on-line retailers will guarantee Christmas delivery on items ordered up 'til about December 20, so something doesn't add up.

'Tis a mystery...


postal deadlines

Post 2

Researcher 220282

its just unreal the Royal Mail have all year to gear up for the Festive Season.... and then the 'Powers that be' wonder why private' carriers do so wellsmiley - grr, and to add insult to injury today they inform the public that 2nd class post is increasing in price from april next yearsmiley - steam.

I think the bit they doesnt add up is that we let them get away with itsmiley - laugh


postal deadlines

Post 3

Sea Change

Online retailers don't necessarily use the USPS to get that package in by the time they are guaranteeing. That said, my practical experience is that the USPS is usually good for getting anything cross-country in about a week and a half from Los Angeles.

Private carriers cost a lot more than the USPS. The cost is so much higher that the USPS has started its own, almost-as-good Express service. Does the Royal Mail not do this? If I lived in rural Texas, the fact that the USPS will actually deliver to me more than makes up for any imperfection, time-wise.


postal deadlines

Post 4

Researcher 220282

the royal mail have an express service mainland UK and Ireland only smiley - sadface
next day delivery before midday but apart from that its DHL, UPS, CityLink and SecuriCorp .. The royal Mail used to be reliable instution 1st class post , next day delivery, now you cant even report a 1st class letter missing for 9 working days smiley - grr


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Postal Communications to the Americas

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more