A Conversation for Eight Maids A-Milking

Eight Maids A-Milking

Post 1

drewbert

Question: Are the cows included, or are they sold separately?


Eight Maids A-Milking

Post 2

Jan^

There is usually a special offer at Christmas - FREE cow with every maid.


Eight Maids A-Milking

Post 3

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

...since the maids could hardly be a-milking if they had nothing to milk. Of course, they wouldn't _have_ to be milking cows, but I suppose it's safest to assume that they are.


Eight Maids A-Milking

Post 4

Edsel P. Hatrack

Free cows? That offer would probably be very popular...

Eight maids a milking simply implies a lot of cows, a sign of wealth (also implicit is the land to house them).

The true love is showing off, but don't you worry about those birds, take the cows. It's all about cultivating greed.


Eight Maids A-Milking

Post 5

Researcher 102988

Well. 8 maids a-milking THE CLOCK! Not cows. It Christmas. It's been 8 days since all the leaping lords' kids have wrecked the house and they are sick of cleaning up after the little buggers.

On top of the normal Christmas tree, they have a partridge, a pear tree, swans, swan poo, partridge poo, leaping lords and leaping lords poo, goose poo, calling birds, French Hens, five gold rings (other clients ringing them on the phone to come clean their turtle dove mess up), and on and on. They hate Ornithology and all the mess it makes. And with each passing day, it gets worse. Progressively worse. They want higher wages and more time off. They have Christmas as well. So they are saying "NO MORE. We want a Christmas too." Milk the clock. Until we get what we want.

That's where the drummers come in on the 12th day. They are trying to whip all the "pipers piping" (crack pipers) and lazy maids into shape.

So. It's really a politcal song. Its the military trying to get the out-of-hand populus under control. Including the maids. Sitting around planning a revolution. Idle hands are the tool of the devil. Something like that.

Milking Maids of the WORLD, UNITE!!


Eight Maids A-Milking

Post 6

drewbert

At least it's not the Thirty Days of Christmas...


Eight Maids A-Milking

Post 7

Jeff Rose-Martland

Why assume they are milking cows? Or even goats? There's nothing said about animals anywhere. And Maid seems to be frequently mistaken for maiden. Who's to say that they aren't chamber maids? Maybe it should read 8 lactating housekeepers....


Eight Maids A-Milking

Post 8

Dudemeister

Perhaps these maids are milking their employer for a perpetual salary. And there are 8 of them - what a wonderful gift.

The cow is then a cash cow.

If you have a problem with that then the local union representative can explain this clearly.

Did I hear negotiation? what does that mean?


Eight Maids A-Milking

Post 9

Mullet

Obviously, the male equivalent should be eight-men-a-milking....but then again, we all know another term for that particular activity.
Anyway, I think a suitable idea for what they might be milking...especially in this day and age....is hapless consumers, who are blatantly milked for all they're worth shortly before the 12 days of Christmas.


Eight Maids A-Milking

Post 10

Dudemeister

This could be read in many ways - Having 8 maids a-milking over on the weekend would be quite a nice gift for many lonely single guys (I am not one of those, but I can understand the sentiment).

Maybe they could help with the housework, once a-milking is done (I assume there is not an endless constant supply to keep them that busy) - and would save emergency trips to the shops for milk.

The modern version might be "My true love gave to me a Bingo 5000 Milko-matic Dairy milk extraction device with 8 workstations".


Eight Maids A-Milking

Post 11

lordvader

An interesting and logical debate, however, the subject matter has been somewhat lost in the translation.
The twelve days of Christmas was written in a time of political confusion and upheaval, so any political statements had to be made in the context of a religious anthem.
The aforementioned twelve days of Christmas is actually a communist doctrine that lays out the methods recommended for social upheval.
Eight maids a milking is a description of the role of women in the new social order, and the importance placed upon them in the industrial revolution. The manufacture of explosive devises was an important part of womens work in the old country, as their hands were more delicate and slender than those of their male comrades; fitting detonators into confined spaces was naturally easier for women.
Milking refers to the addition of cloudy ammonia into the substrate of an explosive device, the excess runoff of ammonia being carefully trapped in chemical resistant drums, that resemble the old style milk kegs.
A factory in the former USSR was constructed as to Party guidelines, which allowed for eight seats to a workbench...every worker being able to see the productivity or lack thereof of a comrade, and being able to inform the appropriate authorities of the standard of work being achieved.
So in retrtospect the eight mades a milking were an integral part of what my true love ( Stalin ) gave to me ( the people ).
Merry Christmas
Lord Vader


Eight Maids A-Milking

Post 12

Dudemeister

A few hundred years before that women were already being burnt at the stake for nothing more than not conforming to some vague rules that dictated they should behave a certain way, and let the guy's have all the say.

I believe this predates old Karl M. by quite a lot.


Eight Maids A-Milking

Post 13

Necro (Patron Daemon of Patron Saints)

Was it Looneytunes who suggested the thing about the breastfeeding? smiley - winkeye Just a thought...

Well, they did mention laterally-warped...

Necro.smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Eight Maids A-Milking

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more