A Conversation for Devon Meet: 30 March - 1 April 2007

Couple of questions

Post 21

I'm not really here

They need to be on a six foot lead or less if there are birds around - as Beauty and Fred are both breeds meant to chase and/or worry I don't want to risk it.

Beauty's recall is non-existent and Fred's is unreliable at the moment, which is why I rely on long leads a lot for them. Woods have too many squirrels for Beauty, so I stick to off lead only in places I know. It's a shame, but I'm working on Fred, and it's why I am starting Beauty racing and lure coursing this year - so she gets to stretch her legs at least once a fortnight.


Couple of questions

Post 22

Skankyrich [?]

I think the livestock would be a greater concern, in that case. Everything just roams everywhere on Dartmoor! So many people seem to let their dogs run about all over when they clearly don't have any control over them. Mind you, some people are still daft enough to feed the ponies, so it's no surprise really.


Couple of questions

Post 23

I'm not really here

I'll keep them on the lead in that case! Fred will probably be scared, but Greyhounds were originally bred to chase deer, so that's definitely not a good idea.

It's embarrassing enough that they don't come back at the moment, without advertising it! It's a shame, as Fred had great recall before he left me in January. We're practising again now, but I don't think he'll be fixed in two weeks.


Couple of questions

Post 24

Skankyrich [?]

You definitely wouldn't want him to catch sight of something anywhere near Fox Tor mire. It's tricky enough even for me to find my way across, knowing the place really well - it would be completely insane to have to try to find a route to a dog that doesn't want to be caught smiley - smiley

Leads it is, then!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more