A Conversation for Right Hand Drive ~ the correct side of the road to drive.

Edited Guide Writing Workshop: A20080955 - Right Hand Drive ~ the correct side of the road.

Post 1

EMFSail

Entry: Right Hand Drive ~ the correct side of the road. - A20080955
Author: EMFSail - U7065736

This is a quirky one for Matt ~ light hearted and just for fun, if anyone knows better (especially about Napoleon) do speak up ;~)


A20080955 - Right Hand Drive ~ the correct side of the road.

Post 2

bobstafford

smiley - cheers Good entry and as far as I know spot on.

You could add >if wou were useing your sword (against on comeing traffic who were about to use thairs on you) you will automaticaly become a right hand drive road user. As were the Japanese another sword waveing culture that use the proper side of the road.<

>A coach and four (stagecoach post) the diver sat on the right hand so he could use the whip and so the proper side of the road (ours) was used.<

smiley - smiley


A20080955 - Right Hand Drive ~ the correct side of the road.

Post 3

EMFSail

smiley - cheers Bob, get you another smiley - ale.


A20080955 - Right Hand Drive ~ the correct side of the road.

Post 4

U168592

For me?


A20080955 - Right Hand Drive ~ the correct side of the road.

Post 5

U168592

What a nice little giggle! smiley - laugh

No, seriously - a real informative Entry and I think it'd do well for the EG -

BUT (yeah there's always a but - and not just the one you sit on).

You need to get rid of your first person references (I, me, etc.) You should be able to do that by incorporating what you have in the text in a little better.

Probably worth having a spell check and a read through again, there's a few little clumsy bits and pieces that I fell over when reading (you are messy aren't you, how many times do I have to tell you, no sweets unless you tidy up after yourself!)

And reading through I thought of some great EG links you could add - there's one oin horse riding, another on a highway man have a look and see what can add to the Entry linking wise, I as a reader enjoy finding other EG gems from an Entry that takes my interst.

As for old Nappy - not sure about that, it's amusing and I do so love to blame the French for everythig, but...best do some research because the PR purists will hound you on that smiley - winkeye

And not sre about the title - it sort of confused me a little when you went on about left hand riding...

But I'm easily confused.

What?! A chicken from an egg! You don't say...


A20080955 - Right Hand Drive ~ the correct side of the road.

Post 6

EMFSail

Thanks chief smiley - cheers, when I get a chance I'll work on it ~ good feedback. I was lurking around your ps and overheard what you had to say about whaky pieces, gave me the nudge to put this one up. smiley - biggrin See you around.~)


A20080955 - Right Hand Drive ~ the correct side of the road.

Post 7

U168592

I thought I saw you in the shadows smiley - laugh Don't be a stranger. Just bring smiley - cake when you can smiley - smiley


A20080955 - Right Hand Drive ~ the correct side of the road.

Post 8

EMFSail

smiley - cake & smiley - tea ~ I had a fun and informative time running around the hootoo search engine looking for likely links, and have ammended appropriately, along the way I found an edited guide entry on why the british drive on the left A395426 ~ and in the discussion forum for this entry I pretty much verified that it was Nappy who started the whole thing off. I also discovered a few more interesting things there, and am tempted to work them in.


A20080955 - Right Hand Drive ~ the correct side of the road.

Post 9

Mina

Is this supposed to be an update to the entry already on h2g2? There's a 'policy' of not having two entries the same, and if you want to update the older entry, then you need to include that content as well.

Also, you missed a bit out - "[London] bridge was so busy that in 1722 an order was made that all traffic should travel on the left. Although this didn't relieve the congestion much, it became the rule of the road that still exists today."

From A2966844 (what I wrote!).

It must have, as you say, already been standard practice to stay to the left, this was just making if 'official', although there is no law that says you have to stay on the left hand side of the road, and advanced driving training insists that you should not. Passing on the left, that's a different matter.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more