A Conversation for Small Screen Surfin'

Heroes/Mutants and other things...

Post 1

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like


It was called heroes because it made the mistake of arriving in the middle of the paranoia about tv and kids. If you look at all the marketing ploys...sorry, I mean cartoons of the time (Thundercats, He man, all that nonsense), the amount of actual violence is minimal, lest little Johnny copy the idea and smack little Eddie with the broom handle thinking it had the power of Numbskull. If you look at the credits you will also find that without exception every single one of those shows had a 'Child Psychology Advisor'. Gleefully missing the point that what had made Tom and Jerry' fun was the near psychotic levels of violence.

I also understood that the new version was much more in line with Kevin eastman's original comic strip. This isn't strictly a re-make, but an attempt by Eastman to put his original vision on the screen.

smiley - shark


Heroes/Mutants and other things...

Post 2

[...]

It arrived in time for Christmas and has much merchandising!


Heroes/Mutants and other things...

Post 3

Awix

I must confess the original cartoon seemed like an aberration, but then again I'd discovered the original comic books a few years earlier (via the rather good role-playing game).

Am I misremembering, or was Shredder's mad scientist sidekick white in the cartoon but black in the original comics? Well, anyway, they killed him off quite nastily in the cartoon, which impressed me slightly. And wasn't Shredder working for an Utrom alien or something? It was a long time ago.

But I haven't forgotten working next to the pizza counter of a well-known supermarket in the middle of a turtles-related promotion - the same three episodes on a tape loop for ten hours! They wouldn't even get away with that in Camp X-ray.


Heroes/Mutants and other things...

Post 4

[...]

At least you had the same funky theme tune over and over!

Oh yes... 198os.. the Mattel age!

Turtles, He-man, Transformers...


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Small Screen Surfin'

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more