A Conversation for The h2g2 Formula One Supporters' Club

One-foot Alonso

Post 1

aGuyCalledPaff

I've just been watching the Turkey highlights on itv, and noticed something when Button was passing Alonso...

I love watching on-board, and particularly when they show the throttle/brake stats (usually with the rev counter and left/right G in the top left corner). Today there was this (apparently) new feature where they showed the split stats at the bottom of the screen for two drivers, but with the throttle/brake graphic thrown in...

[I'm getting to the point now...]

So we're on-board with Button. He's trying to pass Alonso. We're on the edge of our seats. And they're showing the throttle/brake graphic for both drivers. Alonso is on the brake first (as you'd expect), then Button brakes 100ths later, but Button is two-footing it and is keeping on the gas just a tad. He dives inside, gets onto the loud pedal fairly progressively, just before getting out of the brake. Alonso meanwhile, comes off the brake, then on the throttle - progressively, as you'd expect - then starts nailing it, but Button is through.

[So, the actual point...]

Is Alonso a one-footer (like Barrichello)? Does he brake and accelerate with his right foot while his left foot does nothing for 58 laps? Has my estimation of him just gone down? How many other F1 drivers are there who _don't_ use their left foot? etc, etc, etc.


One-foot Alonso

Post 2

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Strange one that. I wouldn't have thought any F1 driver would drive one-footed? smiley - erm


One-foot Alonso

Post 3

Dr E Vibenstein (You know it is, it really is.)

Hmmmm. I know Barrichello prefers it that way, I'm not sure about anyone else though.


One-foot Alonso

Post 4

Cyzaki

They're gonna have to get used to doing it though, as foot-clutches are coming back. Or so I heard...

smiley - panda


One-foot Alonso

Post 5

aGuyCalledPaff

Yes, foot clutch is a 2008 FIA recommendation.

Barrichello has been known for _not_ left-foot braking for a few years. Last season he was experimenting with left-footing because various people suggested that's why he wasn't as quick as Schuey, then at Suzuka he went back to using his right foot for both and came out of the closet with an admission about it.

I find it strange too that any of them one-foot, being as I thought most came through from karting. I mean, I left-foot brake on occassions, and I'm no racing driver. If I can get the hang of it on the roundabout at the bottom of the A256 as a technique for leaving a 911 standing when I'm in a humble MX6, then you'd think the worlds premier racing drivers would be up to it.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more