A Conversation for The Stars at Night are Big and Bright

Great view!!

Post 1

Jimi X

Here we are in the observatory at last!! Thanks Frink for providing me a place to wax astronomic!

Horoscopes should not be given within earshot of me as I get a bit worked up on the subject.

They're all wrong! OK!! The whole premise of horoscopes is based on the world being flat and at the center of the universe, and while there are people (especially in the mountains of America) who believe this, I DON'T!! Also, don't confuse astronomy and astrology around me either! It makes me nuts!! It forces me to take the green pill and practice my breathing exercises!!

Whoops, sorry about that! It kind of slipped out.
Anyway, watch this space for more info on upcoming astronomical events!

And while you're here, why not join the search for extraterrestial life. There's a link at my homepage, http:www.h2g2.com/U53353 or you can go there direct by clicking http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/.

And if you're really ambitious, why not ask your local zoning authority if there is any restrictions on light pollution where you live. Bright parking lot lights will eventually fill the night sky with a dull haze of background light, ruining the chances of seeing the stars!
To join the fight to save dark skies, go to http://www.darksky.org/ida/ida_2/.

If you don't think there's a light pollution in your area, go outside and look at the Big Dipper (Northern Hemisphere researchers only!). You should see a double star in the handle, second star up from the end. That is Alcor and Mizar. If you can't see it, baby you either need glasses or you've got a light pollution problem!!

Join the fight!! Turn out that outside light!!!


Great view!!

Post 2

The Wisest Fool

Yeah Jimi X, you're nor wrong about light pollution. It actually makes me look forward to the next power cut. Skies are not meant to be orange. Not unless you've been to the Pharmacy smiley - smiley

While I'm here, I was wondering if you had any thoughts on this supposed new planet that's supposed to be 100 times further out than Pluto. They think it may even be a brown dwarf (failed star).
You heard about it?


Great view!!

Post 3

Jimi X

I have heard about it, but I don't know where...
I checked my back issues of Astronomy and I didn't see anything. If it was a brown dwarf, it would technically be a star not a planet, however...
One would think there would have been more fanfare if the mystery planet had been discovered.

Did you ever read "Nemesis" by Asimov? That one was pretty good, and it involved a small red star coming in close proximity to earth.

From what I can recall about this star you're talking about, it is heading toward our solar system and will pass close enough to perturb the Oort Comet cloud, possibly starting a shower of material that will fall into the center of the solar system. But I don't think that's supposed to happen for a couple million years.

Hope this helped? smiley - smiley


I dissagree

Post 4

Yeliab {h2g2as}

I dissagree with the title: the Stars at night are big and bright. There not due to the B*lgium light pollution, which is a serious problem, Help to do something about it by signing the pettition at http://www.h2g2.com/A296688

Thanks,
Nick


I dissagree

Post 5

Jimi X

Hey Nick! In next month's update, I'll be sure to direct everyone to the petition. Good luck with that! smiley - smiley


I dissagree

Post 6

Yeliab {h2g2as}

Hay, thanks.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Stars at Night are Big and Bright

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more