A Conversation for Atheism

Well Done!

Post 1

Matholwch - Brythonic Tribal Polytheist

Alex,

Let me the first to congratulate you on a clear and well-written piece. It certainly expanded my understanding of the matter.

Thank you,

Matholwch the Apostate .


Well Done!

Post 2

AlexAshman


Thanks - I'm glad it comes across the right way.

Alex smiley - smiley


Well Done!

Post 3

Rev Nick { Only the dead are without fear }

"a typical atheist is generally someone who has made a conscious decision that they do not believe in any form of god."

Ahhh, so THAT is why I have mis-understood the expressed opinions of quite a number of people on h2g2. Self-professed atheists, who seem (quite often) to be quite adamant about proving that they are right, and any believers or 'faithers' absolutely MUST be wrong. They have made the conscious decision to NOT believe. And feel a need to defend that stand.

I'd always figured they were folks that neither believed, nor disbelieved. They didn't know and, most importantly, didn't care. None of their business. I suppose I was wrong.

*wanders off to re-assess soem common beliefs/non-beliefs*


Well Done!

Post 4

AlexAshman


Just a few minor things I should point out:

The bit you've quoted is generally the truth, although some weak atheists don't fall into this description which is why I added the fuzziness of 'typical' and 'generally' to that bit.

"adamant about proving that they are right" - I think what you've experienced is a form of experimental bias - that is, one which skews the results we get. I would put it to you that the atheists who defend their stand vigourously get noticed, while the quiet ones who will only speak out if offended often don't even mention the subject. Tell you what - I'll see if I can add a mention of this sort of thing to the Entry - it's worth pointing out.

Hope the Entry has had a positive effect rather than a negative one.
smiley - smiley

Alex smiley - smiley


Well Done!

Post 5

Matholwch - Brythonic Tribal Polytheist

Hi Alex smiley - smiley

I'm interested in these definitions you have of 'strong' and 'weak' atheists. As you have seen from my writings in that other place, my view is that you have conscious and unconscious atheists.

Would you say that these mirror my definitions, or are they two aspects of conscious atheism?

Blessings,
Matholwch .


Well Done!

Post 6

Rev Nick { Only the dead are without fear }

I'll be simple about it. I've known (in the real world) some pretty head-strong believers, and a lot who simply couldn't care. The only folk I have actually encountered, who seem to insist on being KNOWN as atheists ... are the one's here in "The Forum" and similarly specific threads.

So yes, my expectations and definitions ARE skewed. Sorry to intrude ...


Well Done!

Post 7

AlexAshman


More or less, only that that would make me a strong atheist only until I fall asleep or otherwise pass out... smiley - tongueincheek

Seriously, though, some people do not believe in a god but at the same time do not reject the idea of one, yet can have some idea of what is going on. This is possible through such tools as apathy and leads to the need for the weak/strong distinction - apathetic people can be weak atheists but not strong ones, as they have not put much thought into the matter. There are thus two types of weak atheists, conscious and unconscious, but only conscious strong atheists.

Alex smiley - smiley


Well Done!

Post 8

AlexAshman


"So yes, my expectations and definitions ARE skewed. Sorry to intrude ..."

No, that's perfectly alright - I'm not going to hold not-knowing-everything-about-the-entire-world against you... smiley - smiley


Well Done!

Post 9

Rev Nick { Only the dead are without fear }

Damn, you've spotted my flaw. Well, one of the zillions. smiley - laugh

In all, it IS a good read, and as good of a description as I've met yet. smiley - smiley


Well Done!

Post 10

AlexAshman


smiley - laugh I think it's a flaw a lot of people have (myself included) smiley - biggrin

smiley - cheers for reading it smiley - ok


Well Done!

Post 11

Yvonne aka india

Thanks for writing it. It clarifies for me lots of false information that's out there about various forms of and ideas about atheism.


Well Done!

Post 12

AlexAshman


smiley - biggrinsmiley - cheers


Key: Complain about this post