Scary Tales for Halloween

6 Conversations

Weird, really weird

Thanks danielt@adelaide

I had this really scary dream when I was 14......

I'm at a house that belongs to a friend, there are a few people around. Another friend is cutting up a fallen tree with a chainsaw. The chainsaw is extremely loud. Suddenly the guy who lives in the next house shouts out over the fence, "Shut that f---ing noise off!". He is a big ugly guy and he is really upset by the chainsaw being so loud.

He jumps the fence and moves towards my friend with the chainsaw. There is a struggle and suddenly, blood. My friend cuts the guys arm off, and oh boy, that really sets him off. He basically started melting. We all ran to the car
and started to drive off. The melting guy just started running after us. We drove up the road which was a dirt road and came to a dead end.

I woke up with the screaming of the melting guy coming up the road, still after us.....

Now the really scary thing is, about three months later I went to visit a friend's house. He lived on a dirt road that came to a dead end. The house I dreamed about was identical to this house I was visiting and even freakier is the fact
that the neighbor's house was the same too.......Only a very old lady lived there. Spooky!

Since then I have heard stories about Satanic cults in that area and also animal sacrifices. There was even a large red (blood?) stain on the road at one stage.

Really spooky!!

Thanks Ben the Hippy for this ghost tale

Halloween one year, think it was' 93, I was in a band with a crazy acid-head guy, and his girlfriend invited us to a Halloween party at this castle in Cumbernauld, which is in Scotland.

There were about thirty people there and we had a big meal and then did the party thing. It got pretty late and David, the acid-head- shared out his sacramental, or just plain mental, LSD. He was pretty insistent about it too: so I accepted the proffered tab, but quietly pocketed it for later use at a less bizzare moment.

We had a guitar and some handdrums. The walls were two feet thick, so we didn't care about noise, and we made crazy mad music. David's acid-warped brain sending him flailing around the room drumming on every available surface.

He and his girlfriend, had that fierce intent drugged glow and it was doing strange things to the atmosphere. I suddenly realised that they really were glowing, and sending off sparks, just beyond what I could see, and then I saw the thing that was in the hall with us. There was a shape, glowing quietly green, like a Kirlian photograph but without anything to generate the aura... a man-shaped space, that felt very sad and lonely. I stopped playing, and slowly the din in the room ceased.

'Do you see it?' I said.

The shape stepped forward. I hesitated, then spoke to it... I couldn't get any words from it but the sense of it flooded my brain, that it missed life, and it missed the days when there had been travellers here, feasts, children, laughter... I told it with my mind, that it could go free, it didn't have to stay here, if it was in pain... I don't know if it heard, but the shape writhed, like it was wrestling with something. It paled, and then it dissolved from my vision, and whether it left or
just decided it didn't want to talk anymore I couldn't say.

The next morning David and Susie woke up late, as can only be expected: we packed up and went back to Glasgow. On the way back, David told me that he woke up just before dawn to find something sitting on his sleeping bag. He knew it was watching him and his girlfriend, so he woke her to see if she felt it too, but as soon as he moved it was gone, leaving a faint imprint on his sleeping bag.

Dr. Prunesquallor contributed this weeks ago.

There are more ghosts per capita in England than any other place in the world and I say this because more people claim to see them over here than anywhere else.

The most haunted place in England is Hampton Court, on one occasion an off duty policeman outside the Court gates said he saw eight ghosts approach. The Haunted Gallery has on a number of occasions seen and heard the screaming ghost of Catherine Howerd who was dispatched to the Tower of London to be beheaded by Henry VIII, her ghost is seen runnig down this corridor pleading for her life...

Lochangel contributed this little gem.

Borley Rectory was in Essex - the site was mentioned in the Doomsday Book but the really interesting thing is that in 1362 there was a nunnery on the site.

Well one of the nuns wanted to run away with a monk from the local monastery. They were discovered and he was hanged and she was bricked up alive. The rectory was built by Henry Bull in 1863.

Soon after it was built, a nun began to appear in the grounds, footsteps were heard, objects were thrown by unseen hands, screams in the night, cold spots and strange odours appeared and unlit rooms were illuminated. Writing appeared on the wall addressed to a the wife of a later owner and a phantom coach rattled through the house.

The hauntings continued until the Rectory burnt down in 1939 and witnesses reported seeing a figure of a woman in the flames.

Strange but True

In Japan ghosts are believed to be unable to say the syllables 'mo' and 'shi'. When meeting somebody on an unlit road it became customary to call out 'Moshi moshi' to reassure the other person that you were alive - and challenge them to do the same.

Nowadays, Japanese people still answer the phone with 'Moshi-moshi'.

Strange Creatures

  • Here's a link to a strange creature called the Bunyip. Thanks to danielt@adelaide, who provided two entries for this page!

  • Here's a link to a thing called Chupacabra. It is otherwise known as the "Goatsucker" and has a bad habit of gobbling up livestock.

Other h2g2 pages worth a look

Zach has created a monster of informative Halloween facts. He also has a page devoted to Haunted Houses.

blu Dragon wrote a great entry about the witches' holiday Samhain.

My own entry Mad Anthony's Ghost, is a good ghost story. And I've recently added three more pages. One is about Trotter's Curse. One is about the haunting of the Ground Glass Mill. And the third is just a listing of some Pennsylvania ghosts.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A180767

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more