A Conversation for Molesworth books (G Willans, R Searle)

Molesworth books

Post 1

Martin Buckley

Agree entirely. That's it. Got full set (stole from pater) in hardback, good condition.

Oh well.


Molesworth books

Post 2

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

No finer entertainment exists for a wet Sunday than a cup of tea, a Molesworth book and Vaughan Williams on the stereo.


Molesworth books

Post 3

Sean

Just heard on Radio 4 (BBC, UK) yesterday afternoon that they've just reprinted the whole series ... hurrah!!


Molesworth books

Post 4

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Published, I trust, by grabber & grabber, price 6/- ?


Molesworth books

Post 5

C Hawke

I have read, although cannot remember name, an adult Molesworth book, that is a book about an adult Nigel Molesworth, it was I recall written by someone else but still had Searle art work. Cannot remember anything else about it.

Me and my sister have a hard back complete Molesworth, it was the pride and joy of our book collection and was always being red by one of us.

Bi the way i totaly agre with the "born out of time" comment as anyone reading anu of my messages wood tell u.

CH


Molesworth books

Post 6

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

That would be a bit like the Flashman novels, wouldn't it? OK in a way, but not a patch on Tom Brown's Schooldays.


Molesworth books

Post 7

Waxer

I used to get told off in junior school for reading Molesworth books , (what a rebel eh!). I blame my parents who bought me "How to be Topp", especially my mother who had all the Ronald Searle, "St Trinians" books which are also rather splendid!


Molesworth books

Post 8

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

The St. Trinians books are excellent, as are any of the movies featuring Alistair Sim. I HATED the 1980s version...

I think they missed a great chance to do a "modern" St. Trinians movie when Communism collapsed - George Cole had just finished doing "Minder", and could easily have reprised the "Flash Harry" role, taking the girls on a school trip to show those Ruskies how to run a REAL "Spiv Economy"...


Molesworth books

Post 9

Waxer

ie. only the first two (pre 60's?) Didn't see the 80's version (can hardly bear to think about it!) who on earth did they try to replace Joyce Grenfell with? Was it even worse than "The Great St Trinians Train Robbery?? Unless it also had Reg Varney in its hard to imagine how!!


Molesworth books

Post 10

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Ironically enough, they replaced her with Maureen Lipman. Unfortunately, they didn't let her do any of her excellent Joyce Grenfell impressions, rather casting her as a "vamp" private detective posing as a teacher... It hurts to think about it...


Molesworth books

Post 11

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Dreadful. Never watch a St Trininans film without Alistair Sim. On the subject of train robberies, ever seen The First Great Train Robbery, with Donald Sutherland and Sean Connery?


Molesworth books

Post 12

Waxer

I love Alistair Sim as Scrooge in "A Christmas Carol", the best version ever!.

I have seen that ,kind of similar in feel to "The Man who would be King" with Michael Caine

(talking of train robberies ,don't mention Phil Collins,"Buster" ...aaaaargh!)


Molesworth books

Post 13

Waxer

I actually typed "not Maureen Lipman??"then thought it too bizarre and erased it before posting. Maybe I did see it but erased it from my memory!!


Molesworth books

Post 14

Mogwai

Willie Rushton illustrated the 'adult' Molesworth - did he write it, too? Or was it someone else, who'd worked on Punch? (Or am I in turn getting that confused with the original Willans material, which always appeared in Punch first?) God, the plot thickens and so do I.


Molesworth books

Post 15

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)


I was listening to a showcase of stand-up comedians on Radio 4 recently, and heard a gem from an Iranian stand-up working in East London:

"Now that the fatois against Salmand Rushdie has been lifted, the Iranian Dyslexic Assoiciation would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the death of Willie Rushton..."


Molesworth books

Post 16

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Assoiciation = Association; it was a typo, not part of the joke... smiley - biggrin


Molesworth books

Post 17

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Heard it, laughed out loud.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Molesworth books (G Willans, R Searle)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more